Chapter 9

I stood there, watching quietly. The lights were dimmed but still I dared not to enter. Her heart-rate was a bit faster than normal, but still I kept my distance. Something was really bothering her. But why?

They day seemed normal. The mom assigned work for the others to do while she sat around reading. I hung around Callie and watched her skip out on her own work. That was probably on my account. She seemed to do less when I was with her. But who could blame her?

This family was unusual. Even I could see that. The dad didn’t see much in her, the mom could easily be described as two-faced, and the boy…

My blood boiled when I thought of him. Even if Callie had no biological relation to him, he was still sick. Callie deserved better treatment than that.

But I kept away from her. My eyes drifted up to the full moon. I glared up at it. My vampire senses were going into a frenzy. I felt so hungry, but I didn’t know why, I just ate not long ago! But then again, the full moon did make vampires more animalistic.

Turning away I went into the depths of the forest. I didn’t want to spend the night in the mansion. Tonight I’d spend out in the woods. I couldn’t sleep in the mansion tonight. Not with her in the house.

Moving deep into the east side of the property, I caught a familiar scent. A mass of them.

“Hello Griffin.” 

Looking to my right, I noticed a silver-haired man leaning against the tree. Stiffly I nodded to him.

“Adrian.”

He smirked and flashed me a smirk with irises that matched his hair.

“I see you haven’t changed.”

“No,” I averted my eyes to the forest behind him, “I guess not.”

The man glanced back behind himself.

“Come out. Obviously he knows you’re there.”

Adrian was right. My senses didn’t lie to me.

Two more came out from under the brush. One short in size and one tall but lanky. I looked at them both and smirked.

“This is your grand crew? I remember it being bigger.”

Adrian narrowed his eyes slightly.

“Things change. Many left after you did,” The intruder’s mood lightened up while the other two stood nearby uncertainly. It was clear they felt uncomfortable with the tension between us, “You still with…oh, what’s her name? Is it—”

“—No,” I responded sharply.

“Oh? She leave you?” He asked with fake concern.

My cold expression was an answer enough for him.

“What’re you doing here, Adrian?” I asked, trying to keep calm. I didn’t like having other vampires on my territory. Especially when I wasn’t the only one who had a chance of being in danger.

“Came for a visit, of course,” He said in a sarcastic-cheery tone.

The other two vampires shifted their weight from one foot to the other. Something was very wrong.

“Spill it. You wouldn’t be here unless you had to.”

The silver-eyed man stood there for a moment, then nodded stiffly.

“Right. Some of my other members informed me a rogue alpha vampire’s out of control. I heard you were still hanging around here, so I thought I’d give you a heads up.”