Chapter 3

Mom was such a teenager. She helped me with my makeup for my date with Grayson.
"Okay, we want natural, so some nice nude eyeshadow..." Mom looks so focused as she packs the shadow into my crease. "And of course we need my pink lipstick."
"Thanks for doing this Mom," I say. The only reaction I get is:
"Where is my Sephora lipstick?" Mom asks frantically. I point to the top cabinet. "Okay, finished." I look in the mirror and gasp at how flawless my mom did makeup.
"Why didn't you ever become a makeup artist?" I ask, and she giggles.
"Now you go get dressed." Mom says.
My dress is stunning. Luckily it is a flowy dress so my stomach doesn't show too much.
Suddenly I hear a knock on the door. I tense up, then take a deep breath.
"I got it Beverly!" Mom calls, rushing to the door. I listen over the stairs.
"Hi ma'am, I'm Grayson." I hear the kindness in his voice.
"Hey Grayson, I'm Beverly's mom, but you can call me Mary Margaret." Mom sounds pleased.
I hurry down the stairs to see Grayson smiling at me.
"You look gorgeous," he says.
"Thanks, you look nice yourself." I take in his nice button down and jeans, and smile when I see his black vans. He looks amazing.
"Well, are you ready?" Grayson grins.
"Let's go." I kiss Mom on the cheek, and walk out with Grayson.
So far so good.
He opens the passenger door for me, and I hop in.
"Thank you for taking me out. It really means a lot," I say.
"Thank you for agreeing to come out with me." Grayson begins to drive. We start having a conversation about every other thing you talk about on a first date.
We eventually arrive to Old Spaghetti Factory, which happens to be my favorite.
"I hope you like it here, it's my favorite," Grayson says.
"Mine too!" I say, and we both laugh. We get out of the car and go inside, talking and laughing.
A waitress takes us to our seats, and we get to sit in the train.
"This was my favorite place to sit when I was younger," I say.
"Right! I felt so awesome!" Grayson laughs. "So what do you want to eat?"
"I always get spaghetti and meatballs and a salad, but I'm not sure if I want soup."
"Oh the struggle," Grayson says. I shove him playfully.
The waitress comes to take our order, and I notice that she is very pretty, not that it matters, but she is.
"I'll have spaghetti and meatballs and a Caesar salad, please." I hand her my menu.
"She'll also do the house soup," Grayson says. I look over and grin. I watch as he orders. The waitress leaves, and look over at Grayson.
"Thanks for the soup."
"Every girl deserves Old Spaghettis house soup!" Grayson says.
Our food comes, and I try to eat as lady like as possible, not slurping or chomping.
"I find it cute how hard your trying not to slurp your noodles," Grayson says.
"Oh lord, it's that obvious?" I laugh. Grayson makes me laugh a lot.

"Okay, coffee time." Grayson says as we drive away from Old Spaghetti Factory.
"Good, I need it." I say.
"Long day?" He asks, looking over at me.
"Jenna made me try on a gazillion different outfits for this," I say.
"I'm sure you looked great in it all," Grayson says.
"Thanks." I resist the urge to grab his hand. It's just laying there.

A few minutes later, after dozing off a bit, I hear Grayson curse. I jolt up and see that it's pouring outside, and we are not moving.
"What's wrong?" I ask, looking out the window.
"I took a shortcut down a dirt road, but now the dirt is mud, and we're stuck." Grayson pushes on the accelerator.
"What can I do?" I ask, flinching as I hear the car struggling and spraying mud.
"I'm going to try to push it out, and I need you to get in the front seat." He tells me.
I slide over when he gets out, and roll down the window.
Grayson is pushing the car, when he shouts, "Now!" I push on the gas, for a moment, and hear Grayson shout. I stop and turn to see him covered in mud. I begin to laugh really hard.
"Oh you think that's funny, huh?" Grayson opens the front door, and picks me up. I scream, and get out of his arms. I laugh as I throw a bunch of mud onto him. This turns into a full blown mud fight.
I accidentally trip on my dress, and fall backwards onto the mud.
I giggle as Grayson pulls me up. He holds onto my arms, and stares at my eyes. Which are blinded by rain.
"I've never liked someone as much as I like you," he says.
He leans down and presses his lips against mine, I gasp, and kiss him back. We pull apart, and I smile.
Rain keeps pouring onto us, so we race back to the car, laughing.

"Here." Grayson wraps me in a blanket he had in his trunk. I snuggle against the Sherpa wool, and look over at him.
"Thank you," I say.
"What for?" Grayson asks.
"Everything."
We get coffee to go, because it was late and we both were ready to get home.
Grayson walks me up to my front porch, and kisses me again.
I hug him tightly, before going inside. I watch as he drives away, and see a hint of a smile on his face.