Chapter 7

Beth's house was darling and charming. The large white house stood behind a short picketed gate, covered in flowers and buds. Huge trees stood by the house, and on the porch was a precious swing. It all felt so perfect.
Beth rushed to the door with a smile and plate full of cookies.
"A pregnant girl deserves a treat." Beth led me in, and I instantly fell in love with the inside. It was stunning.
A large staircase in the front. A living room to the side. An office. Kitchen. Bedrooms.
Everything a house should be.
"Now, now, please sit Beverly." Beth smiled. She smiles a lot. "So, I hope that everything in the book seemed satisfying."
"Everything!" I say. "The school, clothes, and name! I love it all."
"I'm pleased. I thought you would like the name."
"Oh?" I lean back into the cushiony sofa.
"Your mother hinted you love double names," Beth says. "I used to go by a double name, Beth Pearl, but I didn't like it that much. I've had my heart on Bethany Grace for a long while."
"It's gorgeous, my boyfriend and I thought it seemed amazing."
"Now this boyfriend, Grayson was it?" Beth asks, and I nod. "He seemed like quite the catch, how did you snatch him?"
"Oh, it's kind of a cliche story, it's probably stupid..." I trail off.
"Nonsense!" Beth cries. "Tell me at once."
I launch into the story of how Grayson and I got together, or how I "snatched him."
"How sweet!" Beth smiles, holding onto my hand.
We continued to talk a while longer, before I decided it was time for me to leave.
"Beth?" I say, standing on the front porch. "Could I possibly buy some things for Bethany Grace?"
"Well it would be mighty appreciated!" Beth hugged me goodbye, and I left her house very happy.

Cole and Grayson stood at an awkward distance from each other.
I called them this morning to tell them that we would have to go shopping at Target to get baby supplies.
And I wanted them both there.
I know I shouldn't expect them to be friends, but I'd rather them be more friendly to each other.
"Hey guys!" I wave at them. "Hey babe." I kiss Grayson, then pull away when I hear Cole take a sharp breath. "Ready?"
"Uh-huh." Cole frowns.
Grayson smiles and grabs my hand as we all walk in.
"Alright I have a game plan." I pull out the piece of notebook paper I brought.
"You would," Cole says. I roll my eyes.
"Grayson, I need you to get five baby clothes, newborn preferably," I say. "Cole I need you to get a car seat and baby formula, cause I won't be there to breastfeed."
They look at me, dumbstruck.
"Go!" I shout. They scurry off, and I walk over to the baby food section, swinging my basket happily.
"Okay, banana, carrots, green beans, potatoes?" I frown and cross my arms. "I have no idea how to shop for babies." I sigh. This is way harder than I thought it would be.
"Uh, Bev?" I turn to see Cole. "Do you like this pink car seat?"
I smile. "It's perfect, thank you."
Cole walks closer to me.
"Beverly, it's not too late you know?" He says.
"For what?" I watch as he walks closer, until we're face to face.
"We could raise this baby together." Cole smiles softly. "I want to."
"Cole I-" He kisses me. I flinch at first, but then, I let him. I kiss him back. I-I'm kissing my ex boyfriend in the baby aisle, where people are presumably watching.
I pull back and gasp. "Oh no, no, no, no, no!" I run a hand savagely through my hair. "Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap!" My head spins, and I see Cole just standing there, shocked.
"I'm sorry Beverly." He looks guilty. I take a long, long breath.
"No it's not your fault, I mean it is, but mine too. I shouldn't have done that!"
"Done what?" I swivel around to see Grayson, holding a ton of baby clothes, his face a whirl of confusion.
"Nothing!" I force a smile to my face. He gives me a strange look then brushed it off. "Do you like this green one or the blue one?" He holds up two little onesies.
"I like that green." I smile but it probably looks more like a grimace. "Thank you." I go up to kiss him, and when we part and I stare up at his smiling blue eyes, I feel a heavy wave of guilt crash over me. Should I tell him? Should I not?
This was a huge mistake.