Chapter 12

"Cole, hi." Grayson made me meet up with him so that we can talk. I'm not sure I understand why, but he told me it would be for the best.
"Why did you want to meet up with me?" Coles voice was harsh. "So you can rub in my face that you hate me? Cause that's already been done. In front of a bunch of people."
"Look I'm sorry about that, but can you not see how I was angry?"
"I know. I understand, and you're right." Cole takes a deep breath. "What do you want though?"
"Grayson told me I needed to talk to you." I smile a little. "He was upset that I wasn't talking to you."
"Why though?"
"Cause you're the father to my soon to be born baby." I take a sip of my tea. "And I guess you need to be a part of my life."
"Alright." Cole sadly smiled. "I'm sorry for everything, since the very beginning."
"I love you," I say. "As a friend, you know."
"I know." He grinned. "And I'm happy for you and Grayson."
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"He's good for you. So much better than I ever was," Cole says.
"That's not true, but I do love him." I think about all Grayson's done for me. He probably does treat me better than Cole did.
"No, I treated you awful, I was so clueless, and just cared about the status you gave me," he said. I frowned. "I liked you so much, but not as much as Grayson loves you."
"Maybe it's for the best then?" I say. "That we just stay friends."
"I'm okay with that." Cole smiled.
I said goodbye and walked out, feeling a little squeamish after our conversation. I never had any idea that Cole just used me for show. I truly thought he was better than that.

It was still hard not to look at Beth's house in slack-jawed wonder. It was absolutely stunning, and whenever I stop by I picture little Bethany Grace playing hopscotch or reading.
It's an amazing thought.
"Beverly! Honey, come on in!" Beth hugged me, tight.
"How are you?" It's so easy to converse with Beth. She was always so happy and heartfelt.
"I'm amazing, and I'm so glad you came!" She began to lead me up the stairs, pulling my arm. "I've finished the nursery."
"Oh!" I covered my mouth with my hands, feeling tears prick in my eyes. "Can I see it?"
"Of course! This is why I wanted you to come over!" Beth brought me to Bethany Grace's door, and smiled before she pushed it open.
There a gorgeous room sat, finished and pink, and so so gorgeous.
A tall grey crib stood in the corner, a diaper station, rocking chair, a dresser. Everything I was hoping for in my babies room.
"Thank you Beth." I hugged her sideways, still staring at the room.