Chapter Twenty

They were parked behind Doug and Mallory's small, ranch style house. Renne stared straight out the windshield of Swayde's truck at her sister's house. Every time she saw her sister, it got harder and harder for her. Mallory's young body was just deteriorating so quickly, and there was nothing that Renne, someone who saves young kid's lives, could do about it. She felt pain and guilt that she couldn't save her sister's life. 

     A hand on Renne's knee tore her eyes from the hole they were burning on Swayde's windshield. "Are you ready to go inside?" Swayde asked although he knew the answer. 

     Renne nodded reluctantly, opening the door of the truck to hop down. Swayde walked to the passenger side, offering Renne his hand. Grabbing it, Renne held on tight; Swayde was practically the only thing that was keeping her from breaking down.

     Holding up the bouquet of carnations, Swayde said, "Your sister is goin' to love the snickerdoodles and flowers." Swayde tried to comfort Renne.  

     "I hope so." Renne replied, following Swayde to the front door. With her free hand, Renne tightly clenched the bin of homemade snickerdoodle cookies. 

     Swayde stopped walking, turning to Renne. With his free hand, Swayde reached up to caress Renne's cheek. "God's in control, Regg." Placing a kiss on Renne's cheek, Swayde pulled her into a hug. "Lord, please be with Reagan right now. Please give her a sense of peace, help her to feel your presence. Please bless this time we get to share with Mallory, Doug, Taylor, MJ, Hope, and Susan. Please, God, give Reggie peace and joy amidst this rough time. Thank you, Lord, for your blessings. I pray this in your name, Amen." Swayde's prayer was a whisper, but Renne heard every word of it. 

     Looking up, Renne thanked Swayde. After a kiss on Renne's forehead, Swayde pulled back from their hug to knock on the screen door. A voice someone inside of the house told Swyade and Renne to come inside. Holding the door open for Renne, Swayde motioned for her to walk inside. 

     The house smelled like a fresh mountain breeze; every window in the house was open- just the way Mallory loved it. Walking through the house, Renne took in everything, just like she did every time she came over. Decorations, pictures, canvasses and plaques painted the wall; every room had it's own special pieces, but the house had one theme: rustic and ranchy. 

     Stopping about halfway down the hallway, Renne spun around to face Swayde. "I don't know if I can do this." Renne whispered, tears rising in her eyes. 

     Placing his hands on her shoulders, Swayde comforted Renne, "Yes, you can, Reggie. Your sister needs you. She lights up when you walk into the room." Taking a deep breath, rubbing his hands up and down Renne's arms, Swayde whispered, "It gives her something to look forward to. Don't do it for yourself, do it for your sister." 

     "It's just so hard." Renne said, pulling herself into Swayde's embrace. Resting her head on his chest, Renne felt a tear fall to her cheek. She quickly wiped it away; Swayde was right, she needed to be strong right now, she needed to be there for her sister. 

     "I know it is. It's hard for me, too, but we are doin' the right thing." Swayde pulled back from their hug. "Come on. Let's go give your sister her flowers and cookies." Swayde smiled, taking Renne's hand in his own, leading her down the hallway to the doorway of the master bedroom.

     Swayde stopped walking to let Renne in first. "Hey, Mal." Renne pasted on a smile, making her way to her sister's bedside. 

     "Rebel." Mallory breathed out, smiling a weak smile.

     "Swayde and I brought you some carnations and your favorite cookies." Renne smiled, showing Mallory their gifts. "I'll put these in a vase for you." Taking the flowers from Swayde, Renne took off the plastic wrapper, placing the stems in to the vase. "Would you like a snickerdoodle?" Renne asked her sister, turning back to the bed. She sat down in the seat that Swayde had brought over to her.