Chapter Thirty Six

Renne had just transferred the scrambled eggs she made from the skillet into a glass bowl when she heard the back door opened, slamming shut on it's own. Looking over her shoulder, Renne saw Matt walking into the house. 

        "Babe, I am so sorry for last night." Was the first thing Matt said, shaking his head as he crossed the kitchen, standing next to Renne. 

        "It's alright. Where did you stay last night?" Renne asked, flipping over the hash browns she had cooking on the stove. 

         "At a friend's house. Are you still upset at me?" Matt asked, leaning against the counter top, watching Renne.

        "No, honey, why would I be mad?" Renne said sarcastically, faking a smile. 

         "Just wondering." Matt's gaze was distracted by the sight of his phone on the kitchen island. "Ahh, here it is. I was lookin' for my phone. Did anyone call?" Matt picked up his phone, checking the notifications.

           "I wouldn't know. I went back to bed right after you left." Renne lied, focusing on her cooking.

          "I'll be right back." Matt dialed a number, holding the phone up to his ear, about to walk out of the kitchen.

         "No, you aren't goin' anywhere." Renne stood her ground, turning to face Matt. This was not at all how she had planned this conversation to go, but she couldn't wait any longer.

          Matt immediately pulled the phone down from his ear, hanging up the call to focus on Renne. "What?" 

         Renne abandoned her spot at the stove to look at Matt. "You are goin' to stay here and tell me exactly what is goin' on with you and 'Chris.' By the way, that was smooth...disguising her name as a guy's in your phone. I'm assuming her real name is Christina, but you entered it as Chris into your phone so I wouldn't suspect anything. Am I right?" Renne was furious, but it was only seven in the morning; the last thing she wanted to do was fight with Matt. 

       Matt stood speechless in the middle of the large kitchen. His mouth opened and closed before staying closed as he just gave Renne a look. "How did you..." He couldn't form a question. 

         "I lied. I didn't go to bed right after you stormed out. I stayed up the entire night tryin' to figure out why you have been lyin' to me, and tryin' to figure out about how to confront you about Chris. I admit, I searched through your phone last night." Renne placed both of her hands on the kitchen island, staring down a very guilty looking Matt who stood directly across from her.

         "Come on, Renne, don't do this. Where is the trust?" Matt asked, acting like he didn't do anything wrong. 

         "That flew out the window the day you admitted you cheated on me. But you know what? I believed you, Matt. I honestly thought I could trust you, that you had changed, but now I see I was wrong." She spun around, going back to making breakfast. Inside, she was boiling with anger, but she didn't want to let it erupt. 

          Matt took in a breath. "Renne, I'm not cheating on you anymore. Honestly, that stopped before I proposed to you." Matt's voice was quieter as he stood next to his fiance. 

          "Then why are you still talkin' to Christina?" She doled out a serving size of food on each of their plates, not about to let her hard work in the kitchen go to waste.

           He let out a sigh, running a hand over his face. "It's complicated, Renne." 

         "I don't think it's complicated. You call her every night at five and she calls you every morning at 2. Sounds to me like there is still something goin' on there." Renne set the dirty skillets in the sink, turning to grab the condiments from the fridge.