Chapter Thirty Five

"Home sweet home..." Renne mumbled to herself as her truck rumbled down her driveway at her ranch back in Montana. 

          "Need help carryin' in anything?" Matt asked, walking to Renne's truck before she could even get out of the cab. 

          Renne hopped down from her truck, walking past Matt, and to the passenger side of her truck. "I think I got it. I'm too tired to deal with all of it tonight, so I think I will just take in my clothes and the food, and leave everything else for the morning." 

           "Alright, well if you don't need help, I am goin' to go inside and start unpacking. Holler if you need me." Matt turned, walking inside empty handed.

            Shaking her head because she expected Matt to see that she was being partially sarcastic when she said she didn't need help, Renne grabbed the large cooler full of casseroles and meals. Carrying it in the house, Renne let it slam down hard on the counter top when she saw that Matt wasn't in fact unpacking stuff; he was sitting on the couch with a sports game on. Knowing that Matt wasn't the kind of guy to help even when someone says they don't need it, Renne walked back out to her truck, knowing she couldn't be mad at him. 

            After two more trips from the truck to the house, Renne had successfully hauled all of her suitcases inside, and up to her bedroom. Heading back down the stairs, she made her way into the kitchen to put the cold food away. 

            As she was taking a pie out of the cooler, Renne felt two arms slowly creep around her waist. "You wanna know something?" Matt asked Renne after dropping a kiss on her neck.

             "What?" Renne asked, freeing herself from Matt's arms so she could put the food in the fridge.

              "I cannot wait to marry you. Seriously, I mean we already have a house, all of our finances figured out, all the property with the barns and livestock. Baby, we are set. All we have to do is tie the knot and live happily ever after." Matt was smiling at Renne as she worked her way around the kitchen, tidying up. There were dishes in the sink, a newspaper sprawled across the kitchen table, some boxes of leftovers in the fridge. It made Renne wonder if someone had been staying in her house while she was gone. 

              "Yeah, I'm excited, too." Renne said, tiredly. "Did someone stay in our house while I was gone?" She changed the subject, grabbing a beer bottle from the fridge that was not the kind that Matt drank. 

              "Uh, no..." Matt started, a guilty look all over his face. "No, those are my buddy's beers. He came over and stayed for a night last week. And all of those carry out boxes are old, like from a few weeks ago. Sorry, I meant to clean them out before I came down and saw you." 

               "It's fine. I'll deal with it tomorrow." Renne added to her growing to do list. She hadn't even been home for an hour and she was already overwhelmed with what all needed done. 

               Matt crossed the kitchen to embrace Renne again. "What's wrong?" He leaned forward, pressing his lips against hers when she didn't reply. "Hmm? Are you not happy to be back?"

              Renne looked up into Matt's brown eyes. She missed being back, but she was unaware how much work on the ranch had been abandoned since she left. For as long as she could remember, Renne was always a very neat and tidy, organized person, so to see her house messy stressed her out. "I'm just exhausted is all." 

              "Why don't we go to bed then? I will help you clean up everything in the morning." Matt offered, not ready to take no as an answer.