Chapter Twenty-One

Renne sat in her truck a solid hour before she realized that she had left her keys and boots inside of Swayde's house. Taking a deep breath, Renne tapped her fingers on her steering wheel, contemplating what to do next. No matter what she did, it would be an awkward encounter with Swayde. Before Renne could make a decision, she saw Swayde's front door open. Turning the porch light on, Swayde walked down the steps of his porch; he had something in his hand. 

      Renne opened her truck door, stepping down to meet Swayde halfway. "Forgetting somethin'?" Swayde asked, holding out her cowboy boots and keys. 

     "Thanks. I was just about to come back in and get them."  Renne said sheepishly, taking her boots and keys from Swayde. Setting her boots on the ground, Renne slipped her feet in to them before making her way back to her truck. Opening the door, Renne hopped inside. She grabbed the door handle to pull it shut, but a strong hand pulled it back open. 

     Swayde stepped around, putting himself between the cab and open door. "Where are you goin', Regg?" His voice calmly asked.

     Renne's fingers played with her keychain, her eyes cast downward. "Mamaw and Papaw's."

     Swayde let out a sigh, placing his hand on the top of the door. "Reagan, please don't do this. Don't leave me again." Swayde said in a pleading voice. When he said it, memories of her leaving him five years ago played in his mind; it shattered his heart then, and he didn't want that happening again...he couldn't have it happen again. When Renne looked up at him, Swayde knew that she was thinking about that day, too. Taking a deep breath, Swayde continued, "You don't have to stay the night, but at least just come inside and sit a spell so we can talk." This time Swayde knew that he had to do everything possible to try to keep Renne from leaving. 

     Renne hesitantly nodded her head, jumping down from her truck. "Fine, but I can't stay long. I need to get back to mamaw and papaw's tonight." She said, pointing a finger at Swayde, walking past him. Swayde just smiled in response as he followed Renne inside.

                              ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

     Renne woke up the next morning to bright light shining in through the bedroom windows. Peeling herself out of bed, Renne grabbed the sweatshirt sitting on the chair beside the bed. Slipping it on over her head, Renne yawned, feeling like she hadn't slept at all. Opening the bedroom door, Renne made her way to the kitchen to get herself some coffee. 

      Once the coffee was finished brewing, Renne made her way outside, to the porch swing, grabbing a blanket from beside the couch in the living room on the way out. Looking out across the land, Renne took in the scenery, lowering herself onto the porch swing Taking the time she was blessed with, Renne closed her eyes to spend time with God. 

      Shortly into her prayer, Renne heard the wooden screen door to her right squeak open and slam shut. Opening her eyes, Renne smiled at the person who walked out. "Hey, good morning." 

      "Mornin'. Mind if I join you?" Swayde asked, pointing to the spot next to Renne on the swing. 

      "Absolutely." Renne picked up her blanket, making room for him. Once he sat down, Renne leaned back against him, loving the warmth he provided. 

      "I see you found my sweatshirt." Swayde smiled, dropping an arm around Renne's waist, fingering the hem of his sweatshirt that fell midway down Renne's thighs. 

      "I hope you don't mind me wearing it." Renne looked up at Swayde, smiling.

      "Not at all. It looks better on you than it does on me, so it's fine."