Chapter Thirty Three

The funeral service was beautiful; it was just how Mallory would have wanted it. It was much less of a funeral and much more of a celebration of life. Mallory had requested that several people stand up and share some of their fondest memories of her, and that was exactly what happened. At the end of the service, everyone piled in their cars and headed to the cemetery where Mallory's casket was lowered into the cold earth. Every one of the attendees dropped a handful of dirt over the shiny white casket.

           When it was Renne's turn, she looked up to catch Doug's eye. His bottom lip quavered and his eyes were wet and tired, his face weary, but he was keeping it together as he held his youngest daughter on his lap. 

          After what felt like an eternity, the crowd dispersed and folks started heading home. Swayde talked to Doug for a few minutes, making arrangements for when he can watch the kids for Doug. While everyone was leaving, Renne thought it was a good time to spend some time alone with her sister. 

          Kneeling down on the fresh dirt, Renne started, "Hey, Mal. It's a beautiful day today. Absolutely perfect weather. Bet you talked God into that one, huh?" Renne chuckled, feeling tears surface. Running a hand over the soil, Renne added, "Matt and I got engaged. I always thought that you would be in my wedding, but it looks like God had other plans, huh?" Renne felt a tear fall to her cheek. "I miss you, Mal, but I know you would punch me right now if you saw me crying. Today was so perfect." Taking a deep breath, Renne added, "I promise to come back and visit the kids as much as I can. And of course I will come back here and bring you flowers, too." Renne felt a hand on her shoulder, then saw someone bending down beside her. Turning her head, she saw Matt in his black dress shirt and black slacks. "I was just sayin' goodbye." Renne wiped a tear from her cheek, knowing how Matt felt about her crying in front of him.

            Matt reached up to Renne's cheek, rubbing a thumb over where her tear just was. "You ready to go, honey?" 

             Renne nodded, looking back to her sister's grave one more time. "I love you, Mallory. Say hi to mom and dad for me." With the help of Matt's hand, Renne stood up from her spot, not letting go of his hand as they walked to Matt's truck. 

              The drive back to Mamaw and Papaw's house was silent; Renne wanted to express her feelings about Mallory's passing, but since Matt didn't know her, she knew he wouldn't understand. Swayde was the only one who could really comfort her. 

             Once Matt pulled into Mamaw and Papaw's, Renne hopped down from the truck, walking into the house, not waiting for Matt.

            The second Renne got inside, she took off her high heels. She hadn't worn heels for many years, but she wanted to look the best she could for her sister. Her form fitting pencil dress was threatening to pull up from where it sat a few inches above her knee. Only a few more minutes, and Renne could put on more comfortable clothing and curl up on the couch with a photo album with pictures of her and her sister.

             Renne stopped in her tracks when she saw the sight in the kitchen. A dozen large bouquet of flowers, several casseroles and pies, cards, and even a gift bag or two, all covered every free space in the kitchen. Swayde was standing with his back to Renne as he reached into the cupboard for a glass. "Hey..." Renne started, making Swayde turn around.

              "Hey." Swayde said, filling up his glass at the sink. 

              "Who are all of these things from?" Renne asked, picking up one of the cards in the bouquet of flowers. 

               Before Swayde could answer, Matt walked into the kitchen, straight to Renne. He wrapped an arm around her slim waist, placing a kiss on her forehead. "What is all of this?" He asked, taking in the scene in the kitchen.

                "They are all from family friends and neighbors. I think almost everyone who lives here in Alpine Ridge gave something." Swayde answered for both of them, taking a sip of his water. 

              "That was awful sweet of them." Renne said, giving in to Matt's hold on her waist. 

              "Yeah. Y'all leave tomorrow, right?" Swayde asked, looking at Renne, knowing Matt would probably give a smart alec response.

                "Yeah, unfortunately." Renne let out a chuckle as she spoke the truth. This trip back was not at all what she expected it to be like. The time back had reminded her how much she actually missed this little town. She was happy to know that she would always call it home. Despite the good times she had had, and all the closure she had gotten in the few weeks she had been back, Alpine Ridge still held so much heartbreak for her.

                Swayde and Renne locked eyes for a couple seconds longer than they probably should have, what with Renne's fiance standing right next to her. Clearing his throat, Swayde said, "Well, I was just fixin' to suggest that y'all take some of these casseroles and desserts home with y'all." 

               Renne started to tell Swayde that that would be really nice, considering it was a long drive back, but Matt's voice interrupted her. "No, that's alright. They won't travel back well." Matt decided for the both of them. 

               Instead of arguing like Renne wanted, she slipped away, heading up to her room to change out of uncomfortable dress. She didn't realize how exhausted she was until she sat down on the edge of her bed. Every since Mallory passed, Renne hadn't been sleeping well, at all. Things in life were swarming around her, but she couldn't seem to catch any of them. Just for a few moments, Renne just wanted to lay down, close her eyes, and forget about all the troubles in the world. "Just ten minutes." Renne mumbled to herself as she slipped under the covers on her bed, still wearing her dress. 

                 That short, ten minute nap quickly turned into a several hour, long nap as Renne drifted off into a much needed, deep sleep.

                                        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

                 Swayde's truck cab was scattered with some of the casseroles and desserts from Mallory's funeral. He was keeping them at his place until tomorrow, when he would drop them off at Doug's house. As tired as he was when he pulled his truck into his driveway, Swayde knew that his animals still came first. Turning off the ignition, Swayde parked his truck in front of his house, taking in the large bag of casserole dishes. 

                 Seeing the mess in the kitchen that he still hadn't cleaned up, Swayde carefully stepped over all of the broken glass to set the bag on the counter. The mess reminded him of everything that had happened these past few weeks, but he didn't have the time, or energy, to sulk over it now. 

               Instead, Swayde did what he could, pulling out his cell phone as he walked to his bedroom. Pulling up Renne's contact, Swayde typed out a message. "Hey, I just wanted to check in and see how you are doing." His thumb hoovered over the 'send' button, but Swayde deleted the text, knowing that Renne was not holding up as well as she appeared. After typing out, then erasing two more messages, Swayde finally settled on a text that read, "Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you, and I am here if you need to talk." 

               With a sigh, Swayde plugged his phone into the charger beside his bed, slipping off his dress shoes and nice slacks, trading them for a pair of worn jeans and boots. Taking off his dress shirt, but leaving the white undershirt, Swayde headed outside to do his nighttime chores. 

               Because he was dragging, the feedings and night check on the animals took longer than it should, but Swayde was thankful when they were finally done. Making his way back into his house, Swayde began praying for Renne, her grandparents, and even for Matt. They were all going through so much right now, and he didn't know what else he could do besides pray.