Chapter Thirty Nine (FINAL Chapter)

Renne woke early in the morning a week later, rolling over to be greeted by an empty bed. Opening her eyes, she saw numerous cardboard boxes around her bedroom, then remembered why they were there. 

        Sitting up in her bed, Renne ran a hand through her hair, only for it to get caught on her engagement ring on her left hand. Freeing the hair from it, Renne brought her hand down to her face, staring at the ring. She knew that she was making the right decision by breaking up with Matt, but it was still hard for her since he was someone that she had spent nearly every day with for the past five years. 

       Slipping out of bed, Renne trudged her way into the bathroom, flipping on the water in the shower, shucking her clothes and letting the warm water soothe her body. 

       After combing out her growing hair, Renne got dressed for the day before deciding to start her day off right: with her devotional book, and her Bible. Crossing her legs, sitting on the corner of her bed, Renne opened her Jesus Calling daily devotional. As always, the words on the page seemed to really stick out, almost like it was written just for her. Opening her well loved Bible, Renne read, and then reread, each verse to herself, glad that her time alone with the Lord was how she started her day.  

        After a long prayer, Renne felt rejuvenated, knowing her "Jesus time" was exactly what she needed to help her get through everything that was happening in her life at the time. With a grin on her face, Renne knew she would have the strength to finish helping Matt move all of his stuff out of the house, and into his place. 

        Standing off the bed, Renne walked over to the large wooden dresser, perfectly aligned between the two large windows. It was the dresser that her and Matt shared; the couple were practically living together, after being together for five years, it had just sort of happened. They rarely shared the same bed, and even if they did, they never had sex since it was something that they had both wanted to wait until marriage to share. 

         Renne grabbed a couple of the boxes, making her way downstairs to deposit them into the living room next to where Matt had made a stack of his things. Just as she made her way back upstairs, Renne heard the kitchen door open downstairs, knowing in just a few seconds Matt would be beside her in the bedroom. 

        Sure enough, as she picked up another box, Renne could hear Matt's loud steps making their way up the stairs before the knob on the door turned, and in entered Matt.

        "Hey." Matt greeted, crossing the room to be beside Renne. He looked at her for a couple silent seconds before his gaze was diverted when Renne walked out of the room with another box. 

      Once they pair was downstairs, Matt thanked Renne. "Thank you for your help carrying this stuff down here." They had successfully packed all of Matt's belongings into the bed of his truck. Matt turned, resting a hand against the bed of his truck.

        "No problem. I think that's the last of it, right?" Renne stood, facing the man she almost married. Things were awkward between then, for obvious reasons, but at the same time it wasn't as awkward as she expected, just proving to her that they were "done" way before they broke up. 

        "I think so." He watched Renne, wanting desperately to spill his heart, but he knew it wouldn't do any good. Renne had put up with him for long enough, and he knew that she deserved much better...she deserved Swayde. Every part of him wanted Renne back, but he was done fighting...he knew he needed to let her go for real this time, no matter how he felt. 

       "Oh, there's one thing you forgot." Renne took a step closer, turning the ring off of her finger, handing it to Matt. 

         Matt took the ring, taking a step closer to Renne. He reached out his arms to her, asking her for a hug. It took everything in him to not let the tears fall that were rising in his eyes. He swallowed hard to hide his feelings. Letting out a breath, Matt dropped a kiss on Renne's forehead for the last time. "Go get him." He whispered.