Chapter Thirteen: Return

Jason knew I'd only be here on the campgrounds for a few weeks. He knew that I would have to go back home eventually. He knew I would only be able to see him on some weekends since he was so far away. The thought of the separation and isolation made these acknowledgements painful.

I knew that he knew this. All of this. And I knew that he was trying his absolute best to change my mind and to get me to stay here with him. All of the kisses, the cuddling, the doting on. He did this to try and sway my plans. He had missed me just as much as I'd miss him. Honestly, I wanted to stay with him in the cabin. I did with all of my heart. But Cassie...

I couldn't let her be all on her own again. Sure, I made her finally get a steady boyfriend even though she's just as much of as an adult as I am, but I wouldn't want her to have to tough out all of life's challenges all by herself again. She is still my best friend, and I couldn't leave her behind for my own personal gain. She's has done way too much for me already, and I can't just dust it off. I wasn't going to take her compassion and caring for granted.

I thought of this as Jason and I were both lying in bed, catching our breath as I laid my head on his chest. "God I missed this so much." I laughed breathlessly, grinning as I heard him chuckle and nod his head in agreement. "I really don't want to leave again... you know that." I murmured softly, my breaths slowing down to normal as I closed my eyes and sighed unhappily. He looked at me with a 'why are you leaving then' look, and I just shook my head. "I can't leave Cassie alone. I'm too far away to do that. She's looked after me for so long, I couldn't leave her in the mist." I muttered. I was surprised when he rolled over and grabbed the old board I gave him, writing something down and showing me:

'why doesn't she move closer? There's new housing in town.'I looked at him in surprise, cocking an eyebrow before thinking. "Well, I can ask her... I can't promise anything though..." I murmured, rolling as well so I laid on top of him, by back pressed to his warm chest. "I hope she will, but I don't know. I can't sway her thoughts." I shrugged, shaking my head in thought. We sat in a comfortable silence for a while, pondering backup plans before Jason started running his hands over my bare thighs and hips slowly, looking at me with the most innocent glance I've ever seen, even though that one little look so clearly asked 'round two???'. I couldn't help but giggle, flipping over and kissing him once again. Those thoughts can wait for a little bit. It's me time.

~

I was walking around the cabin later that night, pacing the wooden floors as I waited for Cassie to pick up her phone. "Hello?" She finally answered, a tone of excitement to my call covering her voice. "Hey Cas." I replied, grinning as she happily squeaked. "How's it going?" She asked eagerly. I filled her in on every single one of the details of what has happened, since she doesn't mind me being nasty she was good that way. "And I had a question... you have time to think about it..." I started, pausing a moment. "Fire away." She replied. A silence hung for a second before I quietly asked "would... would you consider moving back up here?"

There was a quiet pause as she paused, and the nervousness in my mind expanded. "You know what?" Cassie questioned to herself, a grin in her voice. "Why the hell not. I broke up with Blake while you were gone-- and before you get mad-- he was cheating on me." She said quickly, as to stop me from talking about her settling down. "Wait, seriously?! You would do that for me?!?!" I asked excitedly, giggling like a kid in a candy store. "You are legit the best." I added, grinning ear to ear. "I know. I try." Cassie replied with a laugh. Everything is becoming so much better now.

~

I hated to leave Jason at the campgrounds again, but at least it was only to help pack a moving truck for Cassie and to get my own personal things to bring back. Cassie had already purchased a home down in the Crystal County right after our talk, and we were able to pack up very quickly. The entire ride to her new house consisted of us laughing and talking about the future, excited for what was to come with our new game plan.

Her new house was beautiful; a two bedroom, cottage-style home, with a large swimming pond and willows around it taking up the back yard. We were both squealing like little girls when we finished unpacking and unloading within a few days, happy to finally be done. "You know I'll visit a lot, right?" I asked, looking over tiredly at Cassie who sat on the couch beside me. "Yeah yeah. And I'll visit you too." She promised back as well, grinning and hugging me tight. "You better go and unpack at your place soon, otherwise I guarantee Jason is gonna have an aneurism from worry that you lied about coming back." Cassie teased, a playful glint in her eyes. I nodded in agreement to her statement, knowing it all too well. "And while I'm out, go explore! Meet some people! Spoil yourself." I encouraged, getting up to head out and unpack. "Fine, fine. I will, mother." She teased, making me laugh as I headed out the door and back to the place I can happily call home once again.  

~

"I'm back!" I yelled out as I walked in the door, carrying my bags on my shoulders. I looked around curiously, but no sign of Jason. He must be out somewhere on the campgrounds. I shrugged and carried my bags up to my room, unpacking the more permanent stuff and putting it away in the bathroom and closet. Finally, I missed being here so much, I thought, flopping on the bed and sighing happily.

I jolted back up as I heard the door opening downstairs, and I peeked down the stairs to see who it was. Jason had finally returned, and was glancing around until he finally saw me. He grinned from beneath his mask, coming up the stairs and wrapping his arm around my waist. "I'm all unpacked." I said with a grin, looking up to him happily. He somehow grinned even wider, and I was surprised to see his mouth not crack in half. I smiled back, lifting his mask just enough to peck his lips before wriggling out of his grasp and walking downstairs to go outside. Yeah, I loved Jason, but I love being outside as well. These campgrounds are my own little slice of heaven in all of the hell of life.

I took off running then and there at the door, hearing Jason following close behind me. We both knew what we were doing. We always had the contest on who could jump out into the water the farthest off the dock. My feet finally hit the wooden planks of the dock, and I started running harder than before. As the end of the dock approached, by stride lengthened before I bounded into the water, splashing and disappearing underneath the surface before swimming my way back up. I looked around to see where Jason landed, and grinned victoriously as I saw him just two feet away from me, but closer to the dock.

"I won this round!" I laughed, swimming over to him. He pretended to huff and be mad, picking me up and raising me over his head. "NO PLEASE!!! I'M SORRY!!! DON'T THROW ME!!!" I screamed, laughing my ass off as he threw me back out into the clear water. I soon reached back to the surface, laughing and whipping my hair out of me face to see him grinning wildly as well. "That was fun." I giggled, wrapping my arms around his neck and hitching my legs around his waist to use him like a floaty. He chuckled and held me up under my thighs, tracing small circles against my skin affectionately. "Random question." I asked out of the blue, looking up to see him listening intently and waiting for me to continue. I gave a mischievous grin, biting my lip and leaning back to see him a bit better.

"Have you ever done it in a Lake?"

~

Lolololol had to have the last part 😂. Way too tempting to leave out, and that's because I have a dirty mind. No lying there. I ain't ashamed c: [[[sorry for the boring chapter! I'm a little brain dead but I wanted to update]]]anyways, thank you to everyone reading! I was super surprised and ecstatic to log in after school and see a lot more reads, comments, and votes. It makes me feel really good ❤ hope you all are having a great week! Talk to me if you aren't c: I'm here for ya.
Peace,
Maxx 🖤