Chapter 6

***

I mentally groaned as the pain sliced through my brain again. I wanted to lift a hand to check on my head but my arm was numb. The light in front of me was so blinding, I shut my eyes in a feeble attempt to block it out.

I hadn't opened my eyes but heard Chelsea's worried voice coming down the hall before she grabbed my hand again, her soft fingers clutching mine. 

I opened my mouth to speak to her, to let her know I was alright, when another pair of footsteps entered.

"Is she okay?" 

I mentally groaned again when I realized it was in fact Tate who was asking.

"Yes." She said simply.

I heard him shuffle around a little bit before it was silent again.

"Oh come on Chels, I thought we were becoming friends."

"We were, until you did this to her. I've been so stupid, you know. For a second I forgot this was gangs and ruthless killers I'm dealing with. I've been too nice, makes it harder to leave."

"You're not going anywhere." He hissed.

"Where's the big man? The one that did this to her should at least check on her." Chelsea asked, ignoring him completely.

"He sent me to do that." 

She snorted.

"Classic."

"So, you're just going to forget about last night? I'm guessing you haven't told her anything about what happened." He spat at her.

What?

"I haven't gotten a chance to, we've just made up I don't want to spoil it with my stupid actions. The last thing she needs is more stress."

"I didn't mean for this to happen. We had everything planned out, it wasn't even that far a drop. Everyone on the rooftop knew what was going on, they just thought it was a joke we were playing on some work staff. We didn't know this was going to happen."

"Why are you explaining yourself to me?" Chelsea asked with a laugh.

"Because everything I said that night was true."

"Stop. I'd choose Ally over you any day, please just leave the both of us alone."

"I'm not giving up on us." He said, determination and slight anger leaking through his voice.

"You don't know me! You don't know anything about me and frankly I don't want you to. It's just Ally and I from now on, last night didn't mean anything, I was lonely and you were there. Our friendship is stronger than any boy. I won't let you ruin this." 

It was silent for a moment.

My whole 'I'm asleep' act worked until I needed to sneeze.

I told my nose to hold it in but couldn't help it when I let out a huge sneeze, flinging my eyes open to the empty nurses room. My stomach hurt from the sudden movement but I blocked it out.

Chelsea was immediately by my side.

"What did you hear?" She asked nervously.

"Oh...just about how you and Tate spent a night together, no biggie."

Guilt washed over her face.

"I-I was going to tell you, I was so stupid and drunk I just wanted peace and freedom and he gave it to me. Then he started saying all this stuff about us being together and forgetting about you and I got so overwhelmed. I-I really was going to tell you."