Chapter 19

I straightened out my dress and let out a nervous breath.

"Are you going to get out of the car so we can go to this meeting or what?" 

I jumped up in fright and gave Chris a hard look as he laughed. Lily and Chad were already outside. I grumbled under my breath and undid my seat belt.

The view was magnificent. A large building with a huge rolled out red carpet lay in front of us. Guards were sectioned off on each side, giving us nods as greeting as we walked past.

I smiled as we went through the door, Chris wrapped a protective arm around my waist as we made our way to the hall. I squirmed slightly but made no attempt to move it.

Exquisite was the first word that came to mind. 

A crystal chandelier hung high on the roof, groups of people dressed in jaw-droppingly beautiful dresses that put my floor length black waist cut out to shame.

"This is the place to get contacts." Chris whispered in my ear. "If you want to know who's who and have everyone by your side, get in their good books."

I nodded my head.

He gave my cheek a quick peck before nodding his head in the direction he felt I should start socializing in. I looked to see Lily's face scrunched up as she laughed with a group of well groomed guys that looked like they adored her.

Chad fist bumped some bigger looking men while Chris threw a smooth smirk in the direction of the ladies he was talking to, making them get flustered.  Even at their age they were still easily swept off their feet by him.

I took a glass of wine from the waiter.

I needed to up my game.

A girl stood by herself, playing with her nails. I made out a tattoo on her wrist and I smiled, casually walking over.

I stood beside her for a minuet, eyeing her. She had pale skin with hair glossy black hair that cascaded in loose curls down her back.

She shuffled awkwardly, tossing her eyes towards me with a questioning look.

"Are you from Orange?" I asked looking at her tattoo.

"Yeah, how did you guess?"

I nodded towards her tattoo.

"I used to work at Cinders Music Store before it was a big deal."

Her light blue eyes widened. 

"No way! I used to go down there all the time. I thought you looked slightly familiar. You worked the counter, didn't you? With the green hair?" 

I nodded my head excitedly, placing my glass on the table.

"You're the reason I got into my favourite band! When you recommended that Fall Out Boy CD I thought you were crazy. Now I've seen them like four times, this is insane!"

"No way." I said, my mouth dropping open.

"Seriously. This is so weird."

"I know right." I said, shaking my head in shock. "So you moved up here to join a gang?" 

She rolled her eyes with a small sigh.

"My parents run one of the biggest gangs worldwide. I was forced to come against my own will. But it's not so bad really."

"At least you weren't kidnapped from your home town and ripped away from all of your family." I said playfully.

Her face dropped, her face turning into a mixture between horror and shock.