Chapter 17

I could feel everyone's eyes on me as I sat at the kitchen stool for breakfast.

"Morning." Chris greeted.

I gave him a polite smile in return, not knowing how to start a conversation. We sat in comfortable silence as I continued to type up a message for someone's assistant.

"So you wouldn't really ever consider going on a date with me?"

His question shocked me although it shouldn't have. Yesterday all Tara would talk about was Chris. Whether it was how perfect we were together or anything else she could think of. She kept pushing us to get together. I told her I liked him and she asked me why I kept avoiding the subject then. I couldn't answer.

"It's not that..."

"What is it then?" He asked gently.

I expected him to be mad but he wasn't. That was just Chris's nature I guess.

"I'm new to the whole dating scene. It's weird and intimidating."

He laughed and the corner of my mouth tilted upwards.

"You've never been on a date?" He asked.

I shook my head and his eyes widened.

"Well. How about we go on a friendly outing somewhere then?"

"You mean a date?" I mocked.

"It is whatever you want to call it."

I grinned.

"Okay."

That seemed like a good enough answer for him seeing as he stood up and put his bowl in the sink. I saw no harm in getting myself out of the house and a work-free day.

"Be ready by three."

***

"He'll be here any minuet!" Tara exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes as she squirted me with products.

"And voila. She is finished."

I barely glanced at the shorts they had forced me in to before slumping back on to my bed.

A knock came from the door and the girls ran into my bathroom. I could hear their giggles from outside and suppressed an eye roll as I opened the door.

Chris looked smart in a tight shirt and black jeans that fit him perfectly. He grinned at me and took my hand in his.

"You look...wow."

I flashed him a smile as he opened the door for me.

The weather was perfect outside. The sun was high in the sky with not a hint of wind and the clouds looked fluffier than ever.

I was escorted to his black Land Rover and he shut the door behind me. The seats burnt my bare legs so I tucked them to my chest and pulled on my sunglasses.

When he opened the back door and put a picnic basket in my mouth dropped open and I couldn't stifle the laugh that spilled out.

"I'm a hopeless romantic. Shoot me."

I laughed as he started the car and began to drive.

We both rolled the windows down and he turned on some cheesy pop music. We drove for approximately an hour before the area started to get more secluded. The tree's got narrower and I realized we were driving through the hillside.

He parked the car and we both exited. Grabbing the basket, he lead us down the muddy path to a beautiful field. The grass was neatly trimmed and it was filled with families sat eating and enjoying the beautiful weather.