Chapter 4

In the morning the next day Layla was up early like normal. She was in a better mood since she seen all the wonderful things women are doing out in the world. She had just finished making breakfast and dressing Amelia when she heard the thumping coming from the stairs. For the first time she didn't freeze or flinch. She turned to the entrance of the kitchen and watched as her husband walked through. Jackson looked to her and frowned.

"You look oddly happy today. Something wrong with you other than-" he stopped himself from yelling at Layla because he saw Amelia. He walked to his daughter and smiled.

"Hello my little princess" he said with a happy tone and smiled at Amelia. Amelia giggled and hugged her father tightly. Layla watched the 2 then started cleaning up the dirty dishes. She sighed softly and turned away from her family. This morning she had once again grabbed the hidden phone and had texted Cloud but to her dismay, there was no reply. She convinced herself that he just wasn't up yet so she'd text him later. She nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard Jackson behind.

"I'm leaving for work. What do you have in your hands?" he questioned her while looking down at her hands. Layla shoved the phone into her pocket fast and turned back to Jackson with a small smile.

"Nothing honey I was just thinking about what I'm going to make for dinner tonight. I must plan it before tonight correct?" she answered innocently, hoping he would believe it. Jackson looked at her skeptically but let it pass. He rolled his eyes and growled.

"Whatever. Just don't fuck up the diner" he ordered her before he left. Layla let out a breath she didn't know she was holding and she sighed softly. She looked to Amelia at the table and frowned. Amelia still wouldn't talk to her much and she was still upset. Layla walked to her slowly and bent down to face her.

"Amelia? Please stop being upset with me. I'm here now and I love you. You don't have to be upset. I love you and your father very much" she tried to reassure Amelia as Amelia stared at Layla. Layla patted Amelia's head and Amelia didn't do anything. Layla pulled away and got up with a harsh sigh, walking to the kitchen again. She cleaned the counter and a shuffle came from behind her. She looked back as Amelia had gotten off her chair and walked to her mother.

"Here mom..." Amelia spoke softly as she handed her mother her dirty dishes. Layla smiled a little and grabbed the plates from her. She washed them quickly and turned back to Amelia.

"Alright time for school ok?" She asked her softly and Amelia nodded. They walked to the front door and Layla dressed Amelia. Amelia suddenly grabbed her mothers hand and squeezed it. Layla flinched and held back a cry of pain. Amelia stared at her mothers hand then her eyes travelled up her arm to her mothers face. She was starting to notice her mothers hollow eyes, giant bags under her eyes, hollow cheeks, dull/lifeless eyes and some of the scars the mirror left on her. Layla looked away fast and frowned. She didn't want to say anything to Amelia since she saw her staring. Amelia sighed softly and let her mothers hand go, turning away. Layla got back up and walked out of the house with Amelia. She put Amelia in the car then got in the drivers side. They stayed silent as Layla drove and she parked outside of the school. She got out and before she could help Amelia, Amelia climbed out herself. Layla frowned and walked with Amelia to the small fence area. She let Amelia in and watched her play with the others. Layla looked around and her eyes landed on the familiar blonde hair. She smiled a little when she saw him but she didn't move towards him. She pulled out the phone and looked down at it to check the time. She looked back up and frowned when she didn't see Cloud anymore. She leaned forward to try to see him but she felt a hand on her shoulder, distracting and scaring her effectively.

"Oh my god!" She turned around fast as she spoke loudly and she looked up into the sparkling blue eyes. She swallowed nervously and glanced to the side. She was unable to meet him, scared of what he'd think of her. Cloud watched the smaller woman and frowned instantly. He was upset how she acted towards him but not surprised. Every time he thought about her or saw her, he'd see what he saw when she was being raped. He couldn't get that picture out of his head and it pissed him off. He wanted to save her, to get her away from that man! But he knew he couldn't do anything. He couldn't interfere. Layla looked to Cloud and frowned. He looked deep in thought and like he was frustrated. Without thinking, she reached up and pressed her thumb to one of the angry wrinkles on his cheek. Her eyes widened when she realized what she'd done and she pulled away instantly with a loud gasp.