Chapter 9

Layla sat frozen in shock when she realized the officer before her was her brother. She cleared her throat, but swallowed back her words. Her brother was too focused on the file in front of him to notice that it was his sister in front of him, but he stopped when he came to a page with Layla's face on it and all her information as well. He slowly looked up from the file and faced his sister. His eyes were wide in shock and his jaw was dropped. Then he swallowed nervously and slowly moved the file aside. He leaned over the table with his arms crossed
on it.

"So...how have you been?," He asked
nervously. Layla didn't know how to respond. Would she tell the truth or lie to him? She knew the answer as soon as she asked herself the question.

"I've been good. It's been really good.
Amazing even," she told him with a fake smile on her face. She didn't know what else to tell him and she hoped he believed her. Her brother just sighed and shook his head.

"That's not true. You're in the police
station because of your 'husband'. Tell me the truth Layla," he ordered her and Layla turned her face away. She knew she couldn't deny an order because of how Jackson had made her, but she also knew if she gave Jackson up she'd end up dead.

"It is the truth. I am not here because
of Jackson, I am here because of the other guy. Damian. Jackson didn't do anything, I promise!" She told him as if she was trying to convince him, but he scoffed.

"Is that why he is in our holding cell
right now? Layla, tell me what happened. Explain everything, from the start," he told her strictly. Layla took a deep breath and then she started to explain.

"Okay well, it began with Cloud coming
to my house drunk. I went to see who was at the door and it was him and his friend. Damian was his friend and he wasn't drunk. He was trying to control Cloud. Then Jackson came down because they were making so much noise and he got mad at them. Then he told them to leave, but Cloud wouldn't. Then he challenged Jackson to a fight. Damian told them fighting wasn't needed, but then Jackson said something that made Damian mad and Damian punched him. After that, they got into a big fight and Cloud was just drunk and tired. Then the police came," she finished. She didn't know what the word 'nigger' meant, so she was curious as to why Damian snapped about it, but she knew for sure never to say it out loud.

Her brother frowned as he listened to
her tell the story. Many thoughts were running through his head "he must have said something rude for Damian to attack him, then don't you think?" He questioned, but Layla answered by shaking her head. He was skeptical of her answer at first, but refused to ponder it anymore. Since he saw Damian and knew how Jackson was, he could guess what Jackson had said to him. As he wrote down some notes, out of the corner of his eye he could see Layla trying to see what he was writing. Layla was leaning over the table slightly with her face forward, but her eyes were obviously staring down at the paper. She couldn't read well, but at least she tried. She was so focused on the paper that she didn't even realize that her brother had stopped writing and was glaring at her. Finally she noticed and she looked back up at her brother's eyes. A blush rose on her cheeks and she sank back into her seat, staying silent as her brother returned to his notes. She watched as his hand moved and she let out a soft sigh.

"Please let us go. I want to just go
home with Jackson. All of this is unnecessary!" Layla tried to reason with her brother, but it just fuelled his frustration more. He slammed down his pen and snarled loudly.

"Layla it is necessary! He's a dangerous
man and-"

"You don't know that! You're just assuming it! Where is your proof he is dangerous?! He got into one little fight Tigerstar, it wasn't even that bad!" She said, but stopped when she realized she had said his name. She glanced away and whimpered softly in fear. When she last saw him she was told by him to never mention his name ever again. Tigerstar stared down at his sister then sighed softly.