Chapter 6

Cloud looked between the 2 people at the door and said nothing. He had been out for an hour now, going trick or treating with his daughter. He had forgotten where Layla lived. He just turned his gaze away from Layla and looked towards Jackson with a frown. He could see that Jackson was limping slightly and he had to hold back a smirk at satisfaction for Jackson being hurt. Layla whimpered softly as she tried to take a step forward but Jackson held her back. Cloud was about to tell Jackson off but he heard his name being called. He clenched his jaw and grabbed his daughter's arm gently.

"Come. We are being called. Say thank you and let's move on. Lots of houses to go to" he spoke softly to her but loud enough for Jackson and Layla to hear.

Layla flinched slightly at his words and turned away, thinking he didn't care about her anymore. His daughter nodded and turned, leaving with Cloud. Cloud walked down the driveway and towards his friends that all had their children in the wagon. Cloud grabbed the wagon, since he was the strongest, and he started to drag it. He glanced back at the house and frowned at what he saw. Layla was backing away from Jackson as he turned to her angrily while closing the door. He heard the sound of a slap just as the door shut but he peeled his attention away and to the next house where his daughter was. He stayed at the end of the driveway and just stared at Layla's house. Finally his friend tapped his shoulder. Cloud turned to the African American man and the man spoke in his usual deep voice.

"Cloud? What are you staring at? You've been staring at the house for so long it's like you're trying to see into it. You went up there, did you see a hot girl? Someone you wanting?" The male teased but Cloud just ignored the tease and answered truthfully.

"Yes Damian. I don't know if it's pity but I want her...I want to get her out of that house. I want her to stay beside me and, more importantly, I want to protect her" he spoke with determination and his friend just stared at him in shock. Damian just stared at his best friend in shock. Cloud had never really wanted to be in a relationship since his wife left him so saying he wanted someone, was a shock. Damian just shrugged it off, thinking Cloud wasn't serious. He watched his daughter with Cloud's then turned to change the subject with Cloud but Cloud was gone. He looked around confused and with a frown.

"Cloud? Cloud?!" He called for him but tried to stay silent so the kids wouldn't be worried.

Cloud groaned as he climbed over the fence and fell into the backyard. He got up and looked around. He slowly crawled around the house so he wouldn't get caught and he tried to find the basement window but it was boarded up. He held back a growl of frustration and he crawl towards the back door.

Cloud peered in and almost flew back into hiding when he saw Layla making a sandwich and Jackson waiting at the diner table. Layla had a hand mark on her face and her throat was red. Her eyes were also bloodshot and tear stains were going down her cheeks. Cloud stared at her the longest he could and the best he could. He couldn't keep his eyes off her and just staring at her, knowing she was alive, made him happy. He hadn't realized his feelings before and he didn't understand them but he knew he needed to act on them and act fast before Layla got more hurt. He had missed her whenever he'd go to the school to drop of his daughter and he had heard Amelia was pulled out of the school so it made him worried. Since he didn't see Amelia at the moment he thought of the worst thing, Jackson had killed her.

Cloud watched as Layla dragged her feet while she walked to Jackson, giving him the sandwich. Jackson grabbed her hair and pulled her down so he could talk into her ear. He whispered something into her ear that Cloud couldn't make out but he could tell it was bad when Layla tried to get away from Jackson but he had a strong grip on her hair. Cloud wanted to run into the house and beat Jackson but he held back. He knew Layla would get beaten more if he did. He heard jingling and he instantly froze, turning around slowly but he stopped when he saw it was a cat. He raised an eyebrow and tried to shoo away the cat but it didn't move. The bell on its collar jingled more as it walked closer to him and Cloud tried to shoo it away more. He glanced back into the house once he heard the chair moving and he lurched back from sight when he saw Jackson glaring at the back door. Cloud started to panic and he tried to look for somewhere to hide. There were no bushes or anything to hide behind. Jackson opened the door and looked around the backyard. He frowned when he saw the cat but nothing else. He shrugged and turned towards Layla again.