Chapter 5

The sound of screams were audible from outside the house but nobody took notice. Inside the house Amelia screamed again from the basement. She struggled against the chains and screamed louder. Her father had locked her in the basement and chained her to a pole. It had been a week since that started. Layla hadn't complained or said anything about it. Recently the beatings have gotten more severe for her and she had no idea why.  Jackson would come home from work, drunk as ever and he'd beat her for no reason. Amelia has been locked up for a week and everyday it was Layla's job to give her food. She never said anything to her or even looked to her daughter. In the basement was the smell of rotting flesh from the dead cat beside Amelia. When the cat tried to attack Jackson, he had killed it and left it there. It was one of the big reasons for Amelia's screaming. She hated seeing the once alive cat, now laying lifeless on the floor. It now terrified her about her own death that her father might bring her.

It was an ordinary day as Amelia screamed in the basement and Layla finished up diner. Layla ran to the door and opened it for Jackson as usual and he walked in as if on cue. Jackson glared down at Layla and growled softly.

"How's she doing?" He questioned her strictly and Layla flinched. Layla had gone back to how she was before. She had hid the phone away after that incident with Amelia. She also knew Cloud was probably texting her like crazy or at least wondering where she was but she kept telling herself that she wasn't worth that kind of treatment by anyone.

"She's doing perfectly. She was screaming earlier but she stopped. I think she's at it again though..." she spoke softly and lowly, remembering to keep her head down. Jackson growled down at her and rolled his eyes.

"Wow that's a helpful response. Get your ass downstairs and see if she's still fucking alive! We need to start sending her to school again. The principals starting to get up my ass about it and since you're being worthless and not dealing with it then I have to!" He yelled at her angrily and with that, he threw her down to the ground by her hair. Layla yelped and flinched, looking away with a whimper. She got up slowly as she was told and walked down to the basement. As soon as she had opened the sound proof a wave of screams blasted into her ears. She shut the door fast before Jackson heard and she walked to Amelia. Amelia stopped when she noticed her mother presence and she looked up slowly. She glared at her mother and snarled.

"Stay away from me! You're not helpful at all! You're the worst mother! You and father are the worst parents! Once I get out you'll never see me again!" She started yelling at her mother and Layla didn't react. She just stood there and listened to the yelling. She sighed softly and held her hands together in front of her, watching Amelia throwing a fit, fighting against the chains around her wrists. Layla's knees unconsciously bent and she soon found herself kneeling in front of her daughter. She reached her hand forward and cupped Amelia's wet cheek. Amelia flinched when her cheek was touched and more tears fell into Layla's hand. Amelia sobbed and slowly her yelling ceased. She closed her eyes and leaned her head against her mothers hand while crying harder. Layla frowned and kissed Amelia's forehead.

"I'm sorry Amelia...this is all my fault. I wish I could have stopped this from happening. I wish I could see you running around all happy and stuff you know?" She tried to smile as she talked, to encourage Amelia. But Amelia never opened her eyes. She was falling asleep against her mothers hand. Layla slowly laid Amelia down on the cold floor and looked around. There were no pillows or blankets and she knew if she went upstairs to get some and Jackson saw her, she's get in trouble. She got up slowly, took one more glance at her daughter then left. She slowly walked up the stairs, regretting every step. She walked into the kitchen and was surprised when a plate of food was suddenly thrusted in front of her. The hand holding the plate let down Jackson's arm. He was on the laptop with his diner beside it. He leaned his head at one hand and chewed.