Chapter 4

Alexander heart was beating loud in his chest like a bass drum. His breath cut short when he heard the knocking on his front door. That could have been several different people but either way he didn't want them seeing him like this. Like what that monster made him to be. He went to the bathroom and searched for any kind of substance to hide his marks. Rushing to his bedroom he put on a turtleneck and arranged his hair so it covered his eye. He then rushed back over to the front door and spoke as clearly as he could through his tears.

"Who is it?" His voice was laced with pain like lights around a christmas tree. It was obvious but the person behind the door thought nothing of it before answering. "Hamilton, it's me. I have your bag I'm here to return it." George said. You could practically hear the smirk in his voice. "I was also thinking that maybe we could hang out for awhile. You know, just you and me." As tempting as the offer was Alexander knew he had to decline or else he would see what Jefferson did to him. He choked back a sob and covered his mouth, only just then realizing the pain he felt when pressure was applied to his left foot. He tried to balance on the other and ended up letting out a yelp of pain as he lifted his foot. George gasped and tried to open the door, only to find Alexander deperately holding it closed. "I-I'm fine, sir! Just... Just set it on the patio table? Yeah... Yeah, I'll grab it later I'm a bit busy at the moment!" George, being the smart mind reader he is, was able to tell that Alexander was not in fact alright and that he was in serious pain from something. But, he simply looked down and set the bag on the patio. "Are you sure, you're alright, Alexander?"

"Yes..."
"Will you be at work tomorrow?"
"I'll try, sir."
"...You're allowed to take tomorrow and any further days off if necessary, okay? I don't want you to overwork yourself."
"I won't... I promise...."

With that George said goodbye and walked back to his car, a bit sad that he couldn't stay to make sure he was alright. He knew something was wrong, he could feel it. Alexander didn't stammer unless he was nervous or afraid. He was a confident young man that was always ready to stand up for himself and talk. His voice was beautiful and smooth and never afraid like it was now. Something was wrong and he had to know... But, he respected Alexander's privacy so he gave up and continued walking to his car. As he was walking he saw a black leather wallet on the ground on the pathway. George slowly picked up, about to head back to Alexander's door when he realized it wasn't Alexander's wallet in his own yard. It was...

"Thomas." George stated as he sat at his desk. Alexander was in the seat in front of him. He looked fine, his hair flipped in front of his left eye and his skin clear. Except for the few marks around his neck here and there that George assumed he had left. He tapped his fingers on the wood of his desk, looking at Alexander. Alex, unlike himself, was not the best at hiding his true feelings. His eyes were filled with fear and worry even though he was smiling at his boss. He looked exhausted and there were bags under his eyes. "Tell me about Thomas." George said, opening up his notebook and starting to copy down notes from his computer and onto his paper. Alexander had beads of sweat beginning to form on his forehead. He gulped and stammered out, "W-What do you mean? Thomas is my co-worker." George stared in sympathy at the brokenness of his voice. It sounded sore like he had been coughing a lot. Or screaming. He stood up and walked over to Alexander turning his swivel chair and tilting Alex's chin up.

"Alex, I found his wallet in your yard when I left. I would appreciate it very much if you told me the truth of why it was there." George's stern voice sent shivers down Alexander's spine. He loved George more than anything in his life and he would do anything for him in a heartbeat. But Thomas had him on a leash, watching his every move. He was scared of Thomas. But am I scared of Thomas more than I'm in love with George? Alexander looked down and tried to think of some kind of answer. "Alex... my angel... my love..." George whispered, "I don't want to think that he was at your house... doing what I think he was doing." Alexander looked up at George and saw the hurt in his eyes. Does he... Does he think I'm cheating on him?! Tears started to form in Alexander's eyes and he looked away, beginning to cry. The memories of everything Thomas did to him started to flood back into his brain and he sobbed, folding his arms on the desk and burying his head in them. George scowled. "Alexander, did you or did you not cheat on me with Thomas Jefferson?!" He snapped, his fists clenched. Alexander sobbed, trying to stammer out an answer. You'll regret it, Hamilton! He looked at George and wiped his eyes. Slowly, he nodded. George showed no emotion. "Hamilton, go to your office. Go back to work. Now." Alexander nodded and covered his face, walking out of George's office and back into his own. George hesitantly grabbed the phone and called Jefferson into his office, ready to interrogate once again. A wet feeling went down his cheeks and he quickly wiped them away, preparing himself to talk to Jefferson.