Men..

After a few drinks with Angel I call a cab and head home. I moved back in with my mom to take care of her.

She took my dads death very hard and I couldn't stand the thought of her being alone.

We aren't close anymore but im all she has.

"Nia is that you?" She calls from the sofa. I sigh and enter the room, a little unbalanced.

She looks me up and down and mutters "You haven't been drinking and driving have you?"

I smile and sit beside her on the sofa trying to hide how silly drunk i was."I took a cab mom no worries."

She nods and her gaze shifts back to the tv ,Its 3 a.m and I'm used to this routine with her. I kiss her on the forehead tell her "Goodnight" and I head to my bedroom.

My bed is calling me i plop down onto my bed and stare at the framed photo of my father and mother soon i drift off into a deep sleep.

About two hours later i am awakened by a buzzing noise, my cell phone is blowing up. I look at the time and its 5 a.m..who would be calling me at this hour?

I sit up in the bed and look at my phone of course the name on the screen says "unknown" so i ignore it and my head rejoins my pillow once more.

Hungover and going on four hours of sleep I drag myself out of bed and get dressed.

After brushing my hair into a neat ponytail i head to the kitchen where I'm stopped dead in my tracks.

Standing front and center in my living room is my ex boyfriend Eric Johnston.

"What's going on in here?" I say arms crossed .Eric looks me up and down and replies " I'm your ride hun, your partner now actually."

He grins and I want to vomit. There's no way with our history that this is for real..

We dated for about a year and he got physical with me on more than one occasion finally resulting in me filing a restraining order.

He looks down and mumbles "Look the past is the past I can't change any of it I'm a new man and we have to make the best of this."

Im too tired for this i feel like butt and although he looks truly remorseful I'm too annoyed to care. He won't ruin my day or my mood, I get my first assignment today.

My head has to be in the game especially after my embarrassing and horrible introduction to Jaxton Ropes.

Shaking my head i turn and head down the hall to my bedroom stealing a glance at Eric who is already staring at me .

As i enter the room again he kisses my mom on the cheek and walks outside to his car.

I leave without saying a word to my mom and she knows exactly why, she called him and this is her way of keeping an eye on me.

We don't say much in the car he plugs his phone into the audio jack and he smiles as he listens to the music.

Of course the words of my favorite song "In his touch" by Celine Dion come waving through the speakers and i laugh a little just shaking my head at him.

He's still so handsome dark beautiful mocha skin, full lips and almond eyes. My mom swears he's the one for me, my soulmate the man i'll marry she always insisted.

Being his usual charming self he grins and turns down the music "So how was your last day on desk?" He asks me ."It wasn't as expected I kinda made a bad impression on our captain."

I reply in a disappointed embarrassed tone. He just kept quiet and drove and i just looked down at my badge and a smile takes over my face.

I pick my head up and look out the window hoping he didn't ask any more questions "Well Amos has always liked you so I wouldn't care too much about impressions."

He laughs trying to cheer me up then he makes a goofy face and pulls over to the new building. He parks and then turns the car off.

"You know I don't want any weirdness between us.." He frowns and turns his head towards me awaiting a response.

We are sitting too close and staring too deep for me to respond right now. He leans in and kisses me slowly and for the life of me I don't know why I kissed him back but I did.

We kissed for what felt like hours i until i pulled away and straightened my hair and brushed off my blouse pretending as if nothing happened.

"We should probably go I mutter before stepping out of the car. " Yeah." He says with an attitude and he starts the car and just takes off  driving the opposite way.

"What the hell was I thinking?"
I say aloud to myself walking into the coffee shop next door to the department.

I can't work this way i shake my head and fold my hands together waiting patiently for the waitress.

I look across the room just as Jaxton Ropes is rising from his seat. I blurt out "Jax!" And he turns in my direction with a rather displeased look on his face.

I ignore his rudeness and walk over to him hoping to make amends for the previous day. He's wearing a black tshirt and denim jeans which is why I didn't notice him at first.

I'm sporting a ponytail,hangover and my uniform . He looks me over and laughs his smile is so perfect.

" So this is undercover to you?" My eyes widen and i gasp "undercover? "

Sir I had no idea this unit would be undercover." I'm embarrassed yet again but this time i hold my head up and look into his eyes, there's no anger in them.

Jaxton sits back down and motions for me to take a seat,he crosses his arms and says "Sir?" "You just called me by my first name its a little too late for sir."

He rolls his eyes and leans back in his chair. I sit across from him and sincerely try to explain my morning and how my partner/ ex boyfriend took off.

He says nothing just stares at me making me uneasy.

"Well are you going to say anything?" I question noticing a smile appear on his face.

Still nothing. Ugh men.