One Step Ahead

13

As they ran down the hall, Annelise and Robert heard footsteps that weren't their own.

Annelise halted, Robert bumping into her from behind.

"Why did you-"

"Shhhhhh!"

"But-"

"SH!"

Everything was silent, except for the footsteps that they had hear. They sounded like they were running close behind.

"Run." said Annelise.

"What?"

"Run!"

They started at a full sprint, but the footsteps just sounded closer every step of the way.

They turned right. Then left. Then left again.

They were lost in the dungeons! But they didn't care. They just kept running.

"Ow!" Annelise screamed.

"Didn't feel so good on this side of the crash either," said a familiar voice.

"Courtney?! What are you doing down here?!" exclaimed Robert.

"We came down here to search for anything that might help us in the second task." said Courtney, gesturing to Matthew.

"Same here!" said Robert.

"But we haven't found anything..." said Matthew, a look of disappointment on his face.

"Neither have we," Annelise responded.

"Have you seen Faithlynn or Ashton?" asked Courtney.

"No. Have you seen Katie or Brennan?"

"Yeah, we saw them about 15 minutes ago. Draco was teaching them how to cast pimple curses at first years."

"He's so evil," said Annelise, rolling her eyes.

"But if you haven't seen Faithlynn or Ashton..." said Robert, realizing something. "And we haven't seen them, then where are they?"

They all looked at each other, and, at the exact same time, they all ran towards the entrance to the dungeons.

But it was too late...

                      ~~~~~~~~~

"There has to be something here somewhere," said Faithlynn, searching through the Second Floor Bathroom. "Myrtle?" she called.

"Yes?" Myrtle's voice echoed throughout the whole bathroom, making Ashton jump and Faithlynn squeak.

"Did you see any of the professors put anything in here that seemed a little suspicious?" asked Ashton.

"No, but I did see a student tie something to the pipe under one of those sinks..."

The two kids ran over to the sinks, hoping to find something.

And surely they did.

"It's a key! And look!" exclaimed Ashton. "There's a note attached to it!"