Chapter 1

اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amrah's POV

"You have got to be kidding me," I was not pleased with my brother.

"Why are you asking me now? I'm trying to get ready for school?"

"You're in bed," Uthman pointed out. I glared at him. As usual he decided it would be a good idea to leave his homework to the morning before it was due and then ask for help on it. It was like my brother purposely did it to irritate me, even after the million of times I had told him to not leave stuff last minute.

Dragging myself out of my bed was a major effort and just as I stepped out of my room, I heard my sister's voice.

"Bhaji (sister), I need your help, I can't find my...." Aliyah stuttered and her voice came to a halt.

"What can't you find?" She shook her hands around a bit. I sighed.

"How am I supposed to help you find what you lost, if you won't tell me what it is?" Flustered, Aliyah pointed to her feet,

"You know...I need my...my....gloves...but not the ones for my hand, the gloves for my feet." I looked at my sister and sighed,

'You mean, socks. You cannot find your SOCKS."

She jumped up and squealed,

"Yes, help me."

After suffering in the Malik household for another hour, I finally managed to leave. I had already managed to miss my morning lecture as I woke up late...oops. I was in the last year of my Economics degree but I really wanted to do a Masters.

The lecture dragged on but finally lunch came around. I was waiting for my friends to finish their lecture when I noticed Atif standing there. I started towards him and when he noticed me, he grinned.

Just as he was about to speak, his eyes turned to look elsewhere. I followed his gaze and saw Rania and Amy walking towards us.

"Your friends are here."

"Hey Atif," Rania spoke.

"Rania, Amy," Atif said accompanied with a nod of his head. Amy mumbled a reply. Although she would never admit it, I was very much aware of the fact that Amy had a crush on him. I had never mentioned this to Atif, but I was pretty sure he also knew as he insisted on flirting with her every chance he got. That really irritated me and he knew it. It made me so mad that he would do that, but if I flirted – not that I would, but that is besides the point – he would go crazy. Atif left without saying anything, leaving the three of us. Rania nudged Amy,

"Still like him, I see." Amy tried to defend herself.

"Sure... I believe you." Rania teased.

I never had had feelings for anyone before. And to be honest, this whole concept of love confused me. To me, all it seemed to be was an artificial creation of the media to satisfy the masses, that you have a purpose in life, that your existence has meaning. To find a soul mate. Don't get me wrong; I think marriage is a great thing. Well maybe not in my dysfunctional family. Regardless I had never understood the concept of finding 'the one'. But I guess that was only me...