Chapter 6

Amrah's POV

Days passed and I still hadn't bothered to contact Interview guy, who apparently went by the name of Hasnain. For some reason, I didn't understand why Atif was on my case about it, I was really confused. It wasn't even that big a deal, I mean I wanted to do my Masters first anyway. I didn't really need any help or anything. And I could find a job after I had completed that. But, lying on the bed, thinking, I decided maybe this was actually Atif helping me. Maybe he didn't have an ulterior motive, maybe it was his way of slowly regaining my trust, even if it was something so minor. I picked up my phone and scrolled to the number I had saved, 'Interview guy'. I guess he would always be the nameless Interview guy.

I typed in the text, but hesitated before sending it off,

Salaam, this is Sadia. I am Atif's cousin, he told me that your brother owned an accounting firm and he may be willing to help me out.

It wasn't long before he replied,

Wasalaam. Yeah, I remember you. I think this would be better discussed face to face. If you have time, we could meet up. You could bring Atif along.

I wasn't entirely sure what to do, so I texted Atif and asked. Surprisingly, he jumped at the chance to come with me. It was strange really, seeing as he never wanted to go anywhere with me before. Although he probably didn't want me to go to meet him alone, so that was probably the reason why. I walked downstairs where the rest of my family sat. I felt really bad. I hardly ever spent time with my family. Aliyah was sitting on the floor. When I sat down, she came up to me and handed me a plate of 'food'. I pretended to eat and pay her money.

"Where's Uthmaan?" I asked my mum. She glanced at the clock, concerned.

"He should be back by now. He went to football practice, but he hasn't returned."

A few more hours passed and Uthmaan still hadn't returned. I called him, but he didn't pick up. Even I was stating to get worried now. My sister was sitting there confused wondering why we were running up and down like mad men. I called up his coach, but he said that he left straight after practice. The clock struck 9PM.

I didn't know what to do.

I had called everyone possible. But no one seemed to know where he was. My mum's phone started ringing. It wasn't Uthmaan it was my dad. I watched my mum's face turn pale. My mum cut the phone.

Uthmaan was in the hospital.

There had been a car accident. I managed to convince my mum to drop my siblings off at my cousins and let me go with her.

We got there and only then did I realise the extent of his injuries. I felt nauseous. Just a few hours ago I had been worrying about something so minor. That seemed so long away. Everything seemed so insignificant now. All I could think about my brother who was fighting for his life. I was stuck in this limbo. I couldn't bear to think of what was being done to him right now. I hated this feeling, not knowing was the worst. I prayed to Allah Ta'ala to help him. I knew whatever happened it would all be part of Allah's Ta'ala Will, but at that moment even thinking of losing my brother caused me pain.

Death was a horrible thing; I couldn't bear to think about. It seemed to take people who were far too young, who were far too innocent. But it helped remind the world that no one could escape death. It was inevitable. I don't know how long I stayed there next to my weeping mother in the cold empty hallways of the bleak hospital. The doctor came out, but I couldn't seem to understand the words coming out of his mouth.

'Severe head trauma, amnesia, paralysis'

The words didn't seem to fit with my brother. It hit me then, this is what doctors do on a daily basis. They are the ones that have to break a parents heart with news of their child's death or with the diagnosis of cancer to a patient with no chance of living a normal life. How could doctors have the strength to do that? Just look at their notes and have the ability to walk away from so much death and pain. Doctors and nurses did not get enough appreciation for what they did. Regardless I felt cold and empty. Time had no meaning to me as I watched the clock tick.