Chapter 18

Amrah's POV

I understood now finally. My cousin was trying to help himself. I knew how protective Hasnain was over his sister, but by bringing me into the equation, it made it easier for him.

I didn't know what to feel or what I should feel; anger, sadness, resentment. I didn't know how to describe it then, but I guess I just felt disappointed. Disappointed in myself for not seeing in earlier, for allowing it to happen, for not expecting the worse. How could I not suspect ulterior motives? It was my family, after all, all in it for themselves. The thing was if he had just told me, I would have gladly helped him. I put so much effort towards people that barely gave me the time of day.

I watched Hasnain walk away. I wonder what he was feeling like. Aminah was his sister. I wanted to stop him from leaving, but I didn't really know how to. By the time, I had reached home. I had come to a conclusion. He was family, even if he didn't act like it. I should let him know that Hasnain and me knew before I really did anything else. I didn't really know anything about this Aminah, but she was Hasnain's sister. She couldn't be all bad, I just didn't understood why he had to go about it in all the wrong ways.

Walking into their house, there was silence. That was a surprise. Turned out that the kids had all gone out to the cinema. I paused before going up the stairs to Atif's room and knocking on the door.

"Come in," he called out. I pushed the door and I saw him lying on his bed with his phone in hand, maybe it was her on the other end. He smiled at me when I walked in,

"How come you decided to leave your house today?"

"I need to tell you something." I sat down at his desk and watched him. It was so strange to think that him and I could be so different. We had spent our childhoods together but I guess when you grow apart you never know where the other person might end up. I took a deep breath,

"I know about you and Aminah." He looked genuinely confused which made me confused,

"Wait, who?"

"Hasnain's sister..."

"What do you mean you know about 'me and her'? What's that supposed to mean?" He sat up and put his phone down on the floor.

"Hasnain, he told me. He saw a message from you on her phone." He frowned,

"Hasnain? Well, that's not good." He stopped and I didn't say anything. He spoke again,

"You're getting it wrong, it isn't like that. I don't know what Hasnain told you but we're just friends."

I stood up. I didn't know whether to believe him or not.

"That is his sister, don't you understand? You know how protective he is over her."

"That's my point, that's why I didn't tell him."

"I can't believe you would backstab your friend like that. But then again, you did it to your own family, so what did I accept?"

- Start flashback -

"I know what you did," he looked at me accusingly. I was so confused, I had no idea about what he was talking about. What had I done? He continued.

"You're always going on about the deen. You're a hypocrite. I don't think daddy would be so proud of you, don't you think?" Tears pricked my eyes. Why was he saying these things? I didn't understand.

"I don't understand..." I stuttered. He laughed, but it didn't sound pleasant.

"Zina is a major sin in Islam, but I'm sure you didn't know that." What? Did he really think it was my fault? A single tear rolled down my cheek. His stare was frightening. I wanted to look away. He walked away as I sobbed. How could my family be against me? I hadn't done anything wrong, had I?