Chapter 5

Amrah's POV

I adjusted my hijab slightly and walked downstairs.

"Hurry up, dad has been waiting for ages." Uthman complained. I slipped on my shoes and we walked out to the car. We were going to the mosque because there was some sort of programme that my dad had told us to attend. I loved going to the mosque, but I hated going to these programmes because there would always be that one group of girls that think they are the queens of the planet.

We reached the mosque and Uthman said to me,

"Don't worry, sis. If someone is bothering you, then I will sort them out for you." He mimicked a punch. I laughed and patted him on the shoulder.

"Sure, bro." We separated and he walked into the men's entrance and I walked into the women's entrance. I removed my shoes and I could hear chattering. This was another thing that made me mad; the mosque was not for socialising. The Imaam was reciting the Quran and all the women were doing was complain about their husbands and children. I couldn't really say anything though because then I knew what everyone would say. Haafiz Anwar's daughter has no respect for elders. She is so rude. How dare she shout at me? I shook my head. I picked a Quran from the shelf and walked into the next room where it was much quieter. There was another girl sitting in there. She had a tasbih in her hand and her eyes were closed, her head down.

I sat down in silence and opened the Quran to recite it. I listened to the English speeches but if I was honest, I didn't really listen to the Urdu speeches because they were always made for the older people. Plus there would always be that one fancy word that I didn't know what the meaning was and by the time I had figured out what it meant, I would be completely lost in the speech. In the next room, I could hear the ladies putting down the mat for the food to be placed on. The girl was sitting there silently. Maybe she was new, I didn't recognise her. I approached her and tapped her softly. She looked up at me.

I hadn't really noticed her before properly, but now that she was right in front of me I could see her face properly. Her face was the picture of perfection. MashaAllah. Her face was perfectly heart shaped with skin that seemed completely acne-prone. The eyes were wow though, the colour of a polished opal, framed by lashes that looked like they were out of a mascara commercial. Yes, that is what I thought about. Can't I appreciate a girl's beauty? I mentally hoped that she wasn't one of those conceited girls that I knew.

"It is time to eat, come next door." She smiled at me. That was a good sign; at least she wasn't a brat.

"I am not feeling hungry." She said to me. I noticed that she looked upset.

"Its good to eat in the mosque... Are you okay?" I asked her, but she didn't say anything. I asked her again. She said she was fine, but I didn't really believe her. Before I could speak, she sighed.

"I said something stupid." I was confused,

"So? Everyone does, that's not really something to be upset about." I stated.

"No, you don't understand. I said something I really shouldn't have, brought up something I knew that would upset them and now they're mad at me." I looked at her sympathetically. I knew what it felt like to say something you didn't really mean in the spur of the moment.

"If they can't forgive you for something like that, they don't really care much for you. People that love you will always find excuses to stay in your life no matter what you've done."

"I know he'll forgive me. But I just feel so bad."

"You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel bad. Feel bad as long as you need to, but you shouldn't let it get to you." I managed to convince her to come and eat.