Chapter 3

Amrah's POV

Ping!

An email popped up on screen. Clicking on it, I cried,

"Yes!" Uthman came in and looked at me,

"What's wrong?"

"I got an interview." I said, showing him the email. He groaned,

"Ughh, does that mean if you get in I have to put up with you for even longer? Can't you do your Masters in another city?"

"Thanks, and there I was getting happy that I get to be around my beloved family." He put his hand on my shoulder and in the most serious voice ever,

"Bhaji, everyone hates you." I gave him a look.

"I joke, I joke Sis. No need to get emotional. You know if you leave, you see this," He put his hand on his heart and drew a x,

"...Shattered." I laughed. Having siblings really was a blessing.

"Aghhhhhh." I take it back. It was not a blessing. Aliyah bounded into my room and jumped on to my bed.

"He's attacking me," she screamed. Adam came in and also jumped on to the bed and started struggling with her. Great. Just great. Uthman appeared,

"What's going on? Leave Amrah alone, she's studying." He grabbed the two of them and dragged them out of the room. He returned a couple of minutes later and sat on my bed on his phone. I guess he wasn't actually disturbing me so I continued with my work. He sniggered and lifted his phone to show me a meme.

"Hmm, funny..." I didn't take another notice.

"Guess what? I met Hasnain today." I must have looked confused.

"You know the guy that Dad always goes on about."

"Oh right, yeah. Where did you see him? Is he actually like the way Dad says he is."

"At the mosque. You can't really tell to be honest. He is nice enough, but you never know. He could be hiding the worst secrets."

"That is very true, people are hardly ever what they seem like."

"He's good though. He has an older brother who's an accountant. And he graduated from Imperial. Basically they're all geeks " I rolled my eyes.

"You seem to know his life story." I noticed.

"It weren't me, you know what Dad is like. Interrogating him like he's a suspect in a police investigation.' I laughed. He had a point.

"Your phone keeps beeping," My brother pointed out.

It was Sabah.

I opened the text and read them. Whenever I would speak to certain people, I always had at the back of mind what had happened. I tried to put it past me but it was always really hard to forgive people who you thought would be there for you.

They say family is supposed to be a gift.

A gift of never-ending and unconditional love.

But it wasn't like that for me. I once read somewhere that 'the love of a family is life's greatest blessing.'

I wish I had got that blessing.

I mean I had my siblings but sometimes I thought what about if they had been old enough?Would they have supported me? Or would they have turned on me? I mean the one whose support I needed I didn't get so why should I expect otherwise from other people?

-Start flashback-

Tears stained my face, they didn't believe me. After everything they didn't believe me. I told them so much yet all they did was make excuses. My hands shook as I turned the key in the lock. My mum was waiting there.
"What happened?" And I started crying even more. My mother was right, all along they were right. My cousins never cared for me, they were just acting under a fake pretence of care. I should have gone to my mum first. I sat down slowly and told my mum everything. I had to blink back tears and force myself to not start sobbing again.