Chapter 9

Amrah's POV

I had finally got my rejection. Guess I hadn't performed well in the interview at all. Oh well, I had always expected to have been rejected. I only applied to keep parents happy, it was always going to be a waste of an option. It didn't matter though because I had managed to secure a place on another Master's course. My lectures had finished and I was headed back home.

I hated walking home alone. It filled me with fear every time I had to walk. But I tried not to express it because if I did then that would mean he had got the better of me.

Three years later and I still couldn't bear to think about it. My memory had blocked off the worst part of it but I could never forget that feeling. The feeling of vulnerability and being isolation.

-Start flashback-

I kept my head down as I walked. My mind was all over the place right now. I didn't even understand what had happened. I was confused about Atif and Sabah and everyone. For some reason it was quite a cool day even though it was the middle of summer. I could hear the wind ruffling through the leaves. It was calm and peaceful. A single person cycled past me and then it was quiet again. In an hour, this cycle track would be filled with cycles and children walking home from school.

I didn't even realise how he had managed to creep up on me. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I turned around.

A smile was apparent on his face but it wasn't the type of smile that I was happy to see. Fear gripped me. I looked around but there was no one. It was broad daylight but I was alone with him.

- End flashback -

I shook my head as a single tear rolled down my face as I recalled the event that had happened on this haunted ground. I was supposed to be over this. I was being stupid. Allah Ta'ala had blessed me with so much. Why was I holding on to it? Allah Ta'ala knew it wasn't my mistake and that was all that mattered to me.

Hasnain's POV

A knock on my door stopped me from making my tea. It must be Atif.

Atif walked in and gave me salaam,

"Guess what, I might be getting a car."

"Really, which one? I thought you said you were broke."

"I am broke. And it's not going to be a Mercedes, I know that. But...," I shrugged my shoulders.

"A car is a car."

"You say that because you can afford any car." I rolled my eyes,

"You know that's not true. My dad doesn't even give me any money." Atif gestured towards the flat.

"Okay, well this doesn't count." He looked at me.

"Have you spoken to Amrah?" he suddenly asked.

"No..." I lied. Why was I lying? Tell the truth now. I forced myself to speak again.

"I mean, yes. I have." He looked at me, confused.

"No and yes. What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, I've just texted her. Just leave it."

We walked out of my flat. I needed to get some groceries from Tesco and there was no point in going after as Tesco would probably have closed by the time I'd return. I seemed to spend my life there.

It was quite dark and not many people were around. I was talking about how I had been thinking of going back to Canada for the holidays when Atif suddenly stopped. I followed his gaze and saw a hooded figure. I couldn't see his face all that clearly, but it was obvious Atif recognised him. As he came closer, I noticed that he looked Pakistani.

I could tell something wasn't right. I mean I could feel the tension between them, I felt the sudden urge to leave. I saw Atif and the boy exchange a look, but neither of them said anything. The boy noticed me and glowered at me. Okay, what was this kids problem? I didn't even know him.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked him in the politest voice I could muster. Well, these two certainly didn't get on.

"No, nothing." Atif's teeth were gritted together in effort to remain silent, his face red with suppressed rage. But he held it in and spoke.

"We were trying to help her." Okay...that was a bit random.

"Do you know what's funny? When she's in trouble again, she isn't going to go to you. Do you know who she is going to come running to? Me." Out of nowhere Atif lifted his fist and it connected with his face. A pool of blood appeared on his face. He didn't hesitate but got up immediately. This was not good was my first thought. Maybe I should stop them was my next thought. I'd been in many fights but now I was just confused. I shook my head and I stood in between them. In retrospect not the smartest thing to do.

"Stop..." I felt a jab of pain in my jaw.

"That was not meant for you, Hasnain." I was not happy with Atif. Blood dribbled down my neck. The boy leered and I got mad then. I turned to him.

"LEAVE NOW!" He smirked but didn't say anything as he walked away.

Atif handed me a tissue and I dabbed at my chin to get rid of the blood. I looked at Atif,

"An explanation would be appreciated."

"It's a long story." He sighed

"Well, tell me the long story."

"No one asked you to jump in the way," he stated matter-of-factly.

"I was trying to help you."

"You could have acted hero another way. People don't tend to throw themselves amidst a fight." I glowered at him.

"Fine, I'll tell you." He paused as I raised my eyebrows.

"You know what, forget it."