Chapter 22

Amrah's POV

Today was the day I was going to tell my mum.

Honestly I was really scared. I was worried as to what my mother would think. I knew they'd be upset. They always had plans for me to marry someone from back in Pakistan but I would never have wanted that. Whether or not Hasnain was in the picture.

My mum was making breakfast when I came down. I was going to be late to school if I didn't hurry. I ate my breakfast quickly and left the house.

On the way to school, I contemplated all the possible ways I could tell my mother. Maybe I should mention marriage first? Or should I mention Hasnain first? One thing I knew for sure was not to mention Atif in any of this. As soon as I mentioned Atif I knew my mum would never allow it.

When I returned home, I tried to delay it as much as possible. But I knew this was a good opportunity. Uthman was at football practice. Aliyah was at her after school club. Adam was at a friend's house.

I took a deep breath and went into the kitchen. My mum was standing there making biryani.

I love biryani.

THIS WAS A SIGN!

I mentally prepared myself. And breathed several times. And then blurted it out.

"Mum, I want to get get married." My mum looked at me with disbelief.

"Stop talking nonsense."

"No, I'm being serious." I didn't think my mum was listening to me.

"I know this guy," I continued. My mum turned to look at me. I tried to explain to my mum who Hasnain was but they immediately got the wrong idea.

"No way, you're not getting married to him."

"But why mum?" I asked.

"Don't question me. I said no." I wanted to speak but I knew my mum would not listen.

My heart dropped.

They wouldn't hear of it.

But I had to listen to my mother.

--------

"I just don't understand why though. They're not even giving me any valid reason as to why they think it's a bad idea." I was ranting to Summayyah and Atif about how unfair my parents were being. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Atif mouth something to Sabah. I narrowed my eyes. They knew something. I crossed my arms.

"Okay, what do you know?" Both of them remained silent. I glared at them.

"Look, you can't tell anyone that we told you this especially your mum. They'll kill us." I didn't say anything so Sabah continued,

"The elders have been talking about your marriage for a while now."

"What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure I would know if they were discussing my marriage." Summayyah looked at me like I was an idiot.

"No, Amrah. You really wouldn't. That's just what happens. Our family is dysfunctional. They don't ever bother to discuss it with the ones they're trying to marry off. We didn't tell you because we didn't want to stress you out." I felt a pang of hurt that nobody had told me. People were discussing my marriage and I hadn't even realised it.

"To who exactly?" I asked. This time Atif spoke,

"Well, in all honesty. We're not sure. I mean it's not like the elders tell us anything. It's just what we can kind of piece together from the bits of conversation we do hear." Atif stopped and looked at Summayyah for approval to continue. She nodded her head and he carried on,