First Day

HOLY FUCK HOW DO I START THIS IM GONNA KMS

Mmmmmmmmmmmkay.

I walked to my new school with my head down, like always. Seriously though, the pavement is, like, super interesting. Would you know? Uhm nope. Why? Because you may have seen it before, but I don't think you spend quite as much time looking down as I do.

Just don't talk to anyone, Kellin. You can do this.

You know, I really enjoy my pep talks. It reminds me of how terrible I am at encouraging people.

I made it to the school without anything particularly interesting happening, although I did have to step over a stick. Like at least one and a half of them actually. Once inside, I found that I was rather early. I made my way to the front office to check in and receive my schedule.

"Hey darling what can I do for you?" I looked up to see a short asian girl behind the desk. She looked to be about my age and I wondered if she was doing like community service or something. I had already written the thing I had to respond to her on a piece of paper and I handed it to her. She looked at me like I was crazy insane, but I was used to it and didn't respond in any way to her questioning look. Nonetheless, she gave me my schedule and a terribly printed map of the school. It seemed pretty simple, though, just two squares stacked on top of each other so I figured it was safe to just discard the thing.

My first class was math, which was fine by me. I've always been good at math so I like it. It was a good start.

I got to class pretty early, the teacher wasn't in there yet, but their stuff was. There were also three other students in there, who all turned to look at me. "Hey, you look new," one of them started, and they all stood up. They looked perfectly friendly, but I still took a few steps back. They could hurt me, there was no teacher around but I still wasn't very scared. No one could hurt me as much as I got hurt at home anyways. So it was chill. "I'm Mike," the kid held out his hand and I actually managed not to flinch. His skin was tanned, but that wasn't surprising since it was just barely the end of summer. Still, though I was pale as fuck. "Mike Fuentes." Okay yeah he's Mexican for sure. No one with that last name isn't Mexican. He gave his own hand a little shake, urging me to take it. I did, made my grip as firm as I could manage, then pulled away quickly and took another step back.

I knocked into something warm, spun around quickly to apologize but was soon shoved into the wall. "Get outta my way, idiot," the person growled. For a moment I was quite taken aback. This kid looked a lot like Mike and I was so confused at the change in events. I wondered how Mike had gotten behind me but then I saw the way that he was looking at the guy. A harsh glare. They had to be brothers. That was an I-hate-you-but-you're-my-brother look.

"Back off, Vic," Mike said calmly, still a fire in his eyes. Vic chuckled a bit,

"Mkay Mike. Whatever you say." His voice was lazy, uninterrested. It was clear that he didn't give two frick fracks about Mike and his warning. He made his way over to a desk in the middle, shrugging his bright blue back pack off and flopping into his seat with a sigh. It occurred to me that he might not like math, like most high schoolers.

"You okay?" I blinked and looked at Mike and his other two friends. I shrugged and gave him a look that I hoped expressed how little the shove had affected me. I honestly didn't care much about school bullying anymore. I was pretty used to being pushed around. Mike smiled apologetically, "Vic can be a little feisty. Sorry about him. He'll warm up to you I swear. Come over here and sit with us," he offered. I nodded a bit uncertainly and followed him to the cluster of desks where he and his friends had their stuff. It looked like they had been studying. Mike dragged over another desk and a chair for me while his friends, Jaime and Tony introduced themselves. I was happy when they let me get away with just a small wave instead of a handshake.