Charlie

Picture above:

Kellin is looking at the camera.

What is Vic looking at?

HA

HAHAHHA

Kellic.

Charlie's arms reached for me and I fumbled with his seat belt in my haste to get him out. I'd said my goodbyes ages ago. Why hadn't anyone told me he was still alive? I would ask him about it later but for the time being I just squeezed him in a bone crushing hug, spinning around like some sort of cheesy chick flick. A flash of pain shot through me, taking over my features but I didn't care. Charlie's tiny, frail arms wrapped around my neck tightly and I felt him shaking with sobs, squealing happily. That warmed my heart a lot. He really cared about me that much?

I stopped spinning and brought us to the ground, setting him down and holding him at arm's length. He looked great. His eyes were bright, skin a soft pink, a brilliant smile gracing his lips. For a moment we just looked at each other and I knew that my smile was just as big as his. I didn't even care that the others could see it.

"Uhh . . ."

We both looked up to see who'd spoken. Mike stood next to an open passenger side door, one hand rubbing his neck nervously. Vic was staring at us in shock, still belted into the driver's side. And Jaime was glaring at me, looking murderous. I blinked, suddenly feeling a bit scared. Charlie stood up, jumping around in circles, cheering, "Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly!"

Jaime looked at him, then pointed at me, connecting an invisible line between us, "You know him?" he asked me. I nodded. It seemed a bit overprotective but I guess he felt like most older people, thinking that Charlie was fragile. No one wanted Charlie to get hurt.

"Kelly used to come sing to me at the hospital!" Charlie exclaimed and I downright laughed. I was elated about his condition, how cheerful and energetic he was. Charlie suddenly stopped bouncing, looking at me sadly. He ran and jumped into my chest before I could react. I ground my teeth together as we crashed to the ground, trying not to make any noises of pain.

Charlie hovered over me, so adorable with his scrunched up features staring at me in anger. He grabbed onto my shirt collar and leaned down getting in my face like the tough guy I tried to teach him to be. "Why did you stop?" His voice was awww worthy. He had made it lower like a man's, trying to seem menacing.

I laughed again and it hurt, but also felt nice in a different way. I couldn't remember the last time I laughed. "Because you got better, silly," I said softly, quiet enough for the others to not be able to hear.

"But I still wanted you to sing," Charlie pouted, all trace of his tough guy act gone. He looked really sad. "Why didn't you come back?"

I didn't want to answer that truthfully. Charlie knew about my parents and what they did to me. It was weird actually, how much other stuff he knew, also. I guess when someone's dying you tell them all your shit. It's easier. But I didn't regret telling Charlie anything. He was just seven but I knew that he was my best friend. And I, him.

Realization passed over Charlie's face, then he looked worried as he jumped off me, "OhmygoshI'msosorry," he exclaimed in one breath. "I-I didn't-"

I shushed him, smiling as I sat up. "It's alright," I whispered. I winced. "It's not that bad."

Charlie looked at me sharply, then huffed, stomping his foot, crossing his arms and turning away. He glared at something in the dark grass. I looked at his tiny features, scrunched up in anger. "It's not fair," he growled. "You shouldn't have to-" He sighed and I suddenly realized how old he really was. Sure, he'd only lived for seven years, but what he'd been through had made him grow to be much more mature than he should have been. I guess touching death a few times made one grow up. "I wish I could go in your place," he finally whispered.

My eyes widened and I scrambled to my feet, grinding my teeth to hide the pain. I lifted him up and looked him straight in the eye, "No. Way." My eyes flashed but he just rolled his own and looked away again.

"Ahem!"

My eyes found their way to Jaime's. I raised my eyebrows.

"It's been ten minutes," he said. "Care to explain?"

"I did explain dummy head. Kelly used to sing to me." He smiled at me, making grabby hands and I settled him on my hip. He was a little too big for it but that was alright. I didn't mind holding him there. Charlie turned back to Jaime, "But he stopped when I got better." He smiled his huge smile, then said, "C'mon Kelly let's go watch movies!"

I looked at him, amused. "Alright," I whispered.

We clambered into the car. I belted him in, then slid into the seat next to him. The doors shut but the car didn't start moving.

I looked up to see Vic and Mike staring at me, shocked expressions on their faces.

"Yeah yeah," Charlie said, waving a hand around comically. I smiled at his cute grown up ways. "Kelly talked, whatever. And of course you couldn't hear it because you're too dumb and old and scary for Kelly. It's not that big of a deal." He huffed and crossed his arms. "Can we go now?"

Vic blinked, staring at me weird, kinda like he was seeing me for the first time, but he really had no idea. Mike gave a nervous laugh, "I didn't hear anything but I kinda wished that I had. Charlie make him do it again."

Charlie glared at Mike, "No. Kelly's voice is mine and mine alone. You're not good enough for it." He stuck his tongue out.

Mike frowned and they started bickering back and forth, Jaime joining in on the conversation. I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying. I was locked in on Vic's eyes. He gave me a questioning look like, 'What was that?' I just shrugged, then pulled out my phone and typed it to him. I could tell he was looking at me weird, probably offended that I'd just cut the conversation off like that.

Me - 7:10

Children don't scare me.

Vic looked down at his phone, then nodded, understanding what was happening now. He picked it up and typed back.

Vic - 7:10

You used to sing to him?

- 7:10

This isn't the first time I've heard about your singing. I'm curious. (;

I sent him an eye roll emoji.

Me - 7:10

I sang to children in the hospital and they only loved it because they were dying. I'm not actually any good.

Vic - 7:10

Or maybe you are and just don't want to admit it.

He turned back to look at me and I glared playfully. I shrugged, looking away and locking my phone. Conversation over.

I heard Vic sigh, then he put the car in drive and went down the road. Charlie, Mike, and Jaime were still arguing. It sounded like Charlie was on his own side by himself, trying to make the point that I just didn't like talking to people because they weren't good enough. Mike and Jamie's side was just them saying that they were going to make themselves good enough to hear it.

"Don't push it you stupid doo doo heads," Charlie retaliated.

"But-

Vic cut Mike off, "How bout you just shut up. I like Kellin," he said, eyes facing forward, as if he didn't want to look at me while he said it; an air of anger surrounding him, "let's not scare him away. Maybe if we can keep him around long enough he'll become comfortable with us and be able to talk freely." He shot a glare at Mike.

"And that's not going to end up happening if you keep scaring him off," Charlie said triumphantly. I patted him on the leg, giving him an uncomfortable smile. He looked apologetic for a moment, then jumped into a happiness spree. "So what movies are we going to watch?"

And the rest of the car ride was spent on that discussion.