The Drive

**Mike's point of view**

I'd worked diligently through my homework all afternoon so that I'd be ready for tonight. Ever since Kellin had moved to my school it had lit a fire under my butt to get my grades straight. Hell, he'd only been there for three days and already he'd proved that he was smarter than, like, anyone. And I hated not being top of Mr. Page's class.

In fact, I was so absorbed in some extra math sheets that Vic had to shake me to get my attention, "Mike c'mon. I told Jaime that we'd pick him up at five thirty and we're getting Kellin at six."

I looked at the clock on my desk and scoffed, "It's only five, Vic," I said distractedly. "Jaime lives ten minutes away. Do the math." Oh the irony.

Vic sounded annoyed with me but I didn't care, "Jaime's at Tony's place," he growled. "So we have to leave now if we're going to pick up Kellin on time."

I looked up at him, knowing he was right and groaned in reluctance, "Fine," I snapped, standing and slinging a jacket over my shoulders carelessly. "Let's go, then."

We slid into his car and sat in a comfortable silence until arriving at Tony's house. Vic put in a CD he'd mixed up of all our favorite songs and he hummed along with the music as he drove. I was glad Tony was going to be able to join us. It sucked that he'd been sick. I'd given Jaime hell for it since he was the one who'd made it that way. I just hoped the bug didn't go around to anyone else. I hated being stomach sick. It was worse than anything.

Tony's house was small but really nice. The outside had been painted blue by me, Vic, Jaime, and Tony over the summer last year. White curtains hung in the windows, flowing in the breeze. Flowers dotted the ground in seemingly random places, some unknown plant climbing up a stand someone had put out. His grandmother's car wasn't there, so I assumed she was getting groceries or something. Tony came out, smiling at us, and Jaime closed the door behind him as he followed.

"Hey, guys!" Tony greeted brightly. It was unusual for us to not spend time together everyday and it was nice to see him again.

"How you feeling bro?" Vic asked, turning in his seat so they could talk.

"Better," Tony said as he got in and shut the door. He turned to glare at Jaime, "I don't understand why the bug lasted longer for me than it did for you."

Jaime rolled his eyes, "C'mon, man we've been over this. It's because you have a history of being a big baby, that's all."

Me and Vic laughed, Jaime smirking at Tony who was fighting to keep a scowl on his face. He soon lost, though, and laughed with the rest of us.

Vic started pulling out of the driveway as Tony asked conversationally, "So how were the movies last night?"

"Fun," I answered. "We watched Emperor's New Groove for Charlie but he fell asleep halfway through." I chuckled. "A couple other kiddie ones followed." Tony awed, scrunching up his nose from the cuteness.

"How old is that kid now," Tony asked, "nine? Ten?"

"Seven," Jaime answered.

Vic whistled, "Wow he's seems to mature. I mean the way he talks-especially around Kellin-"

"Kellin?" Tony looked at Vic in confusion.

"Yeah he was with us last night," I said.

"Yeah I know," Tony waved a hand in the air dismissively. "But what do you mean about Charlie and him?"

I didn't really know what Vic was talking about but Jaime seemed to, "Kellin and Charlie know each other, I guess. We've seen Kellin talking to him." Tony gasped, "Quietly," Jaime said quickly before Tony could ask about it. "I haven't heard him. But the way they talk to each other . . ."

"It's like they're trying to keep a secret," Vic finished for him. I looked over, seeing the same expression on Vic's face as Jaime's; one of intense thinking and also something more. Something grim. I looked over at Tony and shrugged, completely lost.

Vic continued, "After you and Jaime left for breakfast mama tried to hug Kellin but before she could Charlie flung himself at her. He said that Kellin didn't like hugs. And Kellin looked really relieved that she hadn't hugged him."

Tony leaned forward in his seat, incredulous, "But mama's hugs are the best!"

I nodded in agreeance. My mama was basically all of our mamas. We spent a lot of time at mine and Vic's house rehearsing and mama was really good friends with Jaime's dad and Tony's grandma. "Yeah," Jaime agreed, "What's his deal anyway? I mean we don't know anything about the guy, like how he moved here, or even his age. Seems strange."

"Oh c'mon." I glared at Jaime. "So what if we don't know him as well as we know each other. What's the problem?"

"Yeah," Tony said. "I mean he's only been here for a few days. He's shy-"

"Too shy." Jaime sighed as Vic turned a corner. "How are we supposed to have a friend who doesn't talk to us?"

"He can write stuff," I said, but Jaime just rolled his eyes. I glared, "I want him to get comfortable around us. And besides," I shrugged, "a kid like Kellin is the perfect target for bullies. I mean look at Vic he's already pushed him around a few times."

Vic looked over, clearly annoyed but everyone knew that it was true. Vic didn't seem to like Kellin very much. Neither did Jaime, but Jaime was just jealous that Kellin was obviously better friends with Charlie than he was. And the fact that Charlie had never mentioned Kellin before made the whole thing that much more disconcerting.

The car settled into a comfortable silence, the conversation dying out as everyone thought about what I'd said.

"He talk to me," Vic suddenly said.

We all whipped our heads in his direction. "What?" we chorused.

"Well sorta," Vic backpedaled. "There weren't words. But . . . last night, before we fell asleep-" he looked at me, daring me to tease him but I kept my mouth shut, "-he was making faces at me. Like, I asked him a few questions, and he gave me reactions. Sorta like communicating."

I laughed, "Vic everyone does that. Hell, he's done it to me, too. And Tony and Jaime. This isn't groundbreaking stuff."

Vic sighed, "Look I can't explain it but-Ugh. It was like he wanted to talk to me. Like he could."

I shook my head, still not understanding. Jaime seemed to agree, "What are you talking about, man?"

Vic made a turn down a dirt road I'd never been on before, "I can't explain it," he repeated. "It's just-well we know he can talk because he's been talking to Charlie. But like-last night-I just felt like he was going to do it. I'm just saying, he has promise. He'll do it eventually."

I almost face palmed. This was 100% Vic. He'd pretend he didn't agree with what we said and then twist his own words around to make it seem like he came up with the idea. "Vic," I said, "that's what me and Tony have been saying this whole time."

"You have?" he asked.

"Yes," all three of us chorused, then laughed. We'd always complained about Vic's little quirk when he wasn't around. We were all thinking the same thing.

He looked at me, "Oh shut up," he growled. "C'mon. We're here."