New Groove

Vic and Mike's house was friggin huge. Huge. Three stories tall, a gaping lawn on all sides, a full circle drive complete with those cool animal shaped hedge thingies. Marble steps led up to the giant double door entrance, windows lining either side of it. Large, potted trees, sat one on either side symmetrically, in full bloom. Vic pulled into a giant garage and everyone got out.

I was kinda in shock, staring out the window at the row of fancy cars next to us. Charlie nudged me. "Pretty I know. Now c'mon Kelly let's go watch some movies!"

I turned to him, gave him a small apologetic smile, then helped him out of his seat. I settled him on my back, ignoring the pain of my recent cuts and bruises. I followed Mike through the door he'd just gone through, but much slower. I was still gawking at the cars.

Charlie flicked my forehead, "C'monnnnnn." His heels gently clicked against my sides, like he was leading a horse, "Giddiup." I grimaced, scolding myself for being so weak. Get over it Kellin. It didn't hurt that bad.

We walked into a mudroom of sorts, coats and shoes lining the pastel walls immaculately. Poles ran horizontally about six feet up the left and right walls, mostly empty hangers. Below were one foot high white wooden racks for shoes. Two pairs were under two corresponding coats on the right; Vic's and Mike's. Jaime's was on the other side, positioned in the same way with his shoes under his hanging coat. I gently let Charlie to the floor. He put his shoes right next to Jaime's and I helped him with his coat up so high. Mine went directly next to his.

There was a mini chandelier in the middle and I stared up at the sparkling surface as I helped Charlie settle into his position on my back. Suddenly I was enveloped in darkness, Charlie's hands moving to cover my eyes. "Kelly c'monnnnnn. Just start walking and I'll direct you. This way you won't be distracted."

I rolled my eyes and Charlie smacked my head, "I felt that." I chuckled, then started slowly moving forward. Charlie gave some really great instructions seeing as though we made it to our destination without a hitch. I flinched as we passed through a piece of cloth but Charlie just told me to keep going and I did.

"Oh there you are," I heard Jaime's voice come from my left.

"Yeah Kelly had to stand and stare at everything!" Charlie said. "Like he's a newborn mouse."

Everyone laughed, including me but it couldn't be heard over the other's. Mike laugh was obnoxious, in fact. That itself was enough to laugh at.

Charlie huffed and poked at my shoulder to get down. I released him, grateful for the lack of lighting. "Movies," he whined, tugging on Vic's arm childishly. "C'mon I wanna watch Emperor's New Groove!"

I looked around the room. We were all standing on a bright blue carpet and surrounded by black walls. Four large speakers were in each corner, lit by small ceiling lights that served as one of the only illumination points in the room. A thick, wide, red curtain hung behind me and an array of comfortable looking chairs were positioned in front of a giant TV. The floor was slanted a bit, like a real movie theater except without the uncomfortable chairs.

A long couch sat in the middle, recliners on either side. There was no coffee table, but a few end tables were around the recliners, unlit lamps and a stack of coasters adorning them. Towards the bottom left of the room was a small bar and high red swivel chairs. I could see the rows of alcohol lit up in the display case, wine glasses hanging overhead.

Mike chuckled at Charlie, "How 'bout Kellin picks?" he asked.

Charlie gave Mike a death glare, "Kelly hasn't seen Emperor's New Groove which makes it the best choice to watch first," he snapped, voice comically low and gravely as he tried to make himself sound angry.