prologue

year seven

Her tired eyes stared at the boy with his back turned at the edge of the bridge. His hands stuffed deep in his pockets, his posture straight, although he was battered and beaten and exhausted, his hair slightly wilder at the top. He was beautiful.

He could barely hold himself up. His legs shook. His shoulders heaved up and down with waves of sobs as he wept for the loss of his home and friends. He didn't seem to notice her presence as she stood behind him. She didn't know what to do to help him. He was hurting. So was she.

But when she looked at him, she didn't see the broken boy in front of her. She saw the boy who had introduced himself on her very first day at Hogwarts. She saw the boy that gave her her first kiss when they were thirteen years old. She saw the boy that wanted to be her boyfriend, although they were too young to truly understand love and all it meant. She saw the boy that argued with her all of the time, promised not to do it anymore, and started again. She saw the boy that kissed her when no one was looking, who held her hand under tables and stood up for her when her friends decided they didn't want her anymore. She saw Draco Malfoy, the boy who didn't have a choice, the boy she gave up everything for without thinking.

She reached for his hand.