chapter forty-seven

They're sitting in front of the fire, her legs curled up under her and her arms wrapped around her torso. Draco drummed his fingers against her hip, drawing his arm closer around her.

It had been hours since the task. Since then, she had showered to wash away the bits of seaweed tangled in her hair and sand caked on her skin. Her damp hair rested flat on her back.

"Are you cold?" he murmured.

"No," she said. "I'm fine."

"I can get you a cup of tea," he offered. "Or a cup of cocoa-"

"Draco," she stopped him, "if you're trying to make up for the past week, don't. I'm okay. We've both forgiven each other."

He sighed. "I was just... so mean, and I don't want you to think any less of me because of it."

"I don't think any less of you," she assured him, turning around until her back pressed against the arm of the couch. "Draco, please don't worry!"

"You mean a lot to me," he muttered, pulling his arms away. He dropped his hands limply in his lap and hung his head in defeat. "So much. I'm sorry I don't show it all of the time, or tell you-"

"Draco."

"I know what people think," he continued. "I can hear them whisper about us. They think I don't care about you, or I just use you for show-"

"Draco," she said loudly, reaching over and cupping his face in her hands. "Draco, babe... what we have is different than anything else that I've known. No one else can possibly understand what we feel for each other because... well, because this is us. Just you and I, right? Nothing needs to be spoken."

A smile graced his lips. "Really?"

She smiled in return. "Really. You mean the world to me, Draco Malfoy."

"That is..." He shut his eyes and grinned. "So... great to hear, you haven't the slightest idea."

She giggled. He opened his eyes and watched her with a gleam of adoration. As he circled his arms back around her, he urged her closer.

"C'mere," he murmured, and she gratefully wrapped her arms around his neck. "Darling-"

His lips were on hers, and she was kissing him. She hugged his neck tightly, wanting to get as close as she could to him. He hummed against her mouth and she felt him smile. They remained the in same position until the door opened.

They pulled away as Pansy Parkinson and her gang of stuck up, snotty girls walked in. ___ ducked her head down as they scoffed and hissed. Draco's jaw tightened and he sent a glare to Pansy.

"Don't say anything," ___ whispered. "I want this whole thing to blow off, if it can."

Draco raised his eyebrows. "You're not hoping to be her friend again, are you?"

"Merlin, no," ___ said quickly, eyes wide.

A burst of laughter escaped from Draco's lips. Pansy's head shot up as she heard the loud laughs from the couple on the sofa. She burned red with jealously and stormed off towards the dorm.

"I couldn't be friends with her ever again," she huffed. She swept his hand into hers. "Especially now, when it's so clear she wanted you from the beginning."

Draco smirked. "And who doesn't?"

A dozen new worries filled her head. She blinked as if her eyes had just been opened in an entirely new way. She was suddenly forced to think about it all, from the stares he received from girls of all years, and the lack of stares she received from boys. There was always a trail of girls longing for Draco Malfoy to notice them.

Her face hardened. "You're right."

Draco chuckled, absentmindedly fiddling with her fingers. "Right about what, darling?"

"Everyone wants to be with Draco Malfoy," she whispered.

Draco glanced up to see tears filling her eyes. She pulled herself away from him and stood up, facing away from his worried eyes and towards the orange flames. She chewed on her bottom lip and crossed her arms.

"Hey, darling," Draco cooed, rising out of his seat. "What's wrong?"

"One day," she whispered, "there's going to be a girl that catches your eye. She's going to be everything you ever could fantasize about, and she's going to want you... and she's thing to be better than me."

Draco shook his head even though she couldn't see him. "Why would you say that?" he asked.

"Because I look at myself and I see everything everyone else sees," she said with a strained voice. "I'm a girl who is an orphan forced to live with a bunch of Gryffindors. I'm a girl who, for some reason, happened to catch the eye of the most beloved boy in all of Slytherin. There's nothing special about her, not on the outside nor the inside."

She turned around. Draco stared at her, absolutely dumbfounded by the weight of her insecurities that she was putting on his shoulders. She swallowed thickly.

"And you're going to find someone better than that, Draco," she breathed. "Someone like Pansy Parkinson. A pretty girl with a perfect family."

"___, don't you get it?" Draco choked. He stumbled forward and grabbed her by the tops of her arms. He shook his head. "This... you ... you're it for me. This is all I'll ever want. All I'll ever need. ___, you're my best friend and girlfriend all rolled up into one. I couldn't imagine someone better to be with. You didn't think I was just thinking of you as a... phase of sorts, did you?"

"I don't know," she answered honestly.

"Well, you shouldn't have," he said. "Never, never, should you think that I see you as anything less than I tell you. You are everything I will ever need or want. You're my everything, as horribly cheesy as that sounds."

"And you are mine," she whispered, laughing breathlessly through tears.

They wrapped their arms around each other and held on close. Two teenagers, too young to put into words what they felt, but too passionate to keep it at bay. Their lips touched, and while they laughed, they dreamed of their futures, blissfully naive and irrevocably in love.