chapter forty-one

While a majority of students remained at Hogwarts for the holiday, Draco was to go back home. It was tradition for his family to host their own Christmas dinner, although he didn't have many family members to bring around.

"It's just Father, Mother, and I most of the time," he told her. "Our family doesn't always see it best to interact more than we have to."

"My father always made our house elves cook up an entire feast," she said. "And my grandparents would come down, and we would all eat together and open gifts. And then my father and I would make hot chocolate that night and sit outside on the porch." She smiled sadly. "Nowadays, Christmas doesn't have that much of a meaning."

"That's not true," he said. He grabbed her hand. "Here's an idea. How about you come spend Christmas with me and my family this year?"

"You mean... meet your parents?" She gulped nervously. "Draco... I don't know..."

"C'mon, darling! You've met them before." He grinned.

"Not as your girlfriend," she hissed. "And especially now, when your father knows I live with the Weasleys? Don't you think he'll be a little judgemental over that?"

"___, you're a pureblood Slytherin," Draco stated. "That's all he cares about. If he has a problem with you for having to live with the Weasleys, I'll talk to him."

"Draco," she whispered. She dropped his hands and crossed her arms across her chest. Hey eyes dropped to the floor, and she swallowed thickly. "I don't want to be a disappointment. I don't want to let you or your family down."

Draco stared at her. She stepped aside to leave against a stone pillar. She kicked at the snow piled on the dead grass. He grabbed her shoulder and turned her around to look at him.

"Darling, you could never let me down," he said, genuine consideration in his voice. "Never."

"I know they'd prefer it if you were with Pansy Parkinson," she whispered. "Or if you were with another pureblood. One that was rich and had a family."

She gnawed on her lip. There were tears in her eyes, threatening to spill as she relished in some of the self hate she had unknowingly buried. He sighed and rubbed her shoulders through her coat and his gloves. 

"C'mere, darling," he whispered. She ducked her head and leaned into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and leaned down to press his cheek against her hair. "Pansy Parkinson doesn't even begin to compare to you, ___. Whether you're wealthy or not is none of my concern. You are everything I could ask for and more. Besides, I'm wealthy enough for the both of us, don't you think?"

She sighed. "Had to ruin the moment, didn't you?" She couldn't help but laugh.

"I just wanted to hear my beautiful girlfriend laugh is all," he said.

She laughed. As she did so, she glanced up at the small bush of green leaves and white berries growing overhead. Draco saw them and laughed, his tongue gliding across the front of his teeth as he gripped ___'s waist and tugged her close against him.

"Did you do that?" he asked.

She laughed. "It seemed appropriate."

"Much so," he replied.

He grabbed get gently by the chin and pressed his lips against hers. They kissed long and slow, enjoying the taste of peppermint on each others lips.

//

"Ronald, you're staring again," Hermione said from her spot against the tree.

Ron sighed and shook his head. "Look at them. Bloody revolting."

"I think they're nice," she admitted.

"Nice?" he said loudly. "Hermione, that's Malfoy making out with my -"

"Your what, Ron?" she asked, a hint of annoyance in her voice. "You hardly treat her as a friend! You stopped talking to her because of who she was dating."

"Well," he defended, his face red. "That's my... she's my-"

"She's certainly not your sister, if that's you're getting at," she scoffed. "Fred and George are better brothers to her than you are, Ronald. And Ginny actually speaks to her."

Ron was listening, but not really. He kept his eyes on Malfoy as he watched him walk back into the castle, bringing ___ with him.

Annoyed at her friend, Hermione rolled her eyes and walked around him. She stomped ahead. If he was going to he difficult, he wasn't going to help.

Besides, it's not like ___ needed him. She didn't even glance at Ron anymore. She had someone found a way to be happy - even after losing her parents and her friends - and all because of the company of the meanest boy in school.