chapter forty-four

"Can you at least tell me why you were crying?" Cedric asked.

She pursed her lips. "I don't... it was ridiculous, honestly." She shrugged. "A few of my friends... seem to have different opinions of me than I thought. They seem to think poorly of me, and very, very little of my relationship."

"Oh." Cedric nodded.

"I told you it was silly," she said awkwardly, waving her hand. She blushed at the drama of telling this seventeen year old boy. "I'm sorry."

"No, no need to apologize," he assured her. "I'm just not too good at relationship advice myself."

"Ah. Well," she said. "I'm not sure anyone here is."

"Puts us all in quite the predicament, eh?" he mused, pulling up one eyebrow.

She nodded in agreement and laughed. As the sound of their amusement died down, she crossed her arms. He was turning towards the dungeons now, but as she saw the last half of her house filing in from dinner, she fell back, not wanting to face them yet.

"So. Are you worried about the next task, or...?"

"Not really, no," he said. "Um, we got a clue with the last, so I'm thinking I'm pretty well prepared for the next."

"When is it?" she asked. 

"In a few days," he said. "Perhaps when the lake isn't frozen over."

She raised her eyebrows. "The challenge is on the Black Lake?"

"More like in the lake, I think," he said, pressing his shoulder against the stone wall.

"Wow." She grinned. "That's awesome."

He raised his eyebrows and inhaled sharply. "Yeah. We'll see."

She looked down. "Hey, Cedric... I think you'll do great. Like, my money is on you."

He chuckled. "You're betting? With Fred and George?"

"Oh, no. But hey, maybe I should, since I've got full faith in you."

He laughed, his head leaning back and eyelids crinkling. She smirked and turned to face him, awkwardly preparing to say goodbye.

"Thanks for walking me," she said. "I really appreciate it."

"No problem," he said gently. "I enjoy spending time with you, actually."

"I..." Her face burned for a long moment. "Well, thanks again."

She started to pull away. He reached forward, his fingers pressing against the side of her right shoulder. It kept her in place. She began to repeat her goodbyes when he leaned in and kissed her cheek. She blinked, but brushed it off as merely an act of kindness, until his lips brushed against hers.

"Hands to yourself, Mister Diggory!" Moody snapped as he limped by. He man glared at the couple in mute surprise. Cedric yanked back. "See to it you keep out of trouble!"

The kiss was soft, faint, and it kiss clung to the side of her mouth. Still, she jumped backwards with Cedric, shame and guilt consuming her immediately. Cedric was blushing a dangerous shade of violet himself as he stepped backwards.

"I'm... sorry," he choked out. "That was inappropriate of me."

She crossed her arms tight over her chest and swallowed hard. "Yes, it was," she whispered. "Because you have a girlfriend and I have a boyfriend, whom I care about very much, no matter what anyone says."

"I know that-"

"Night, Cedric." She glared at him for a brief moment before walking towards the common room.

She was grateful to enter a seemingly empty common room. She allowed herself a shaky breath before she saw the figure turn its head from the sofa in front of the fire.

"Ah. There you are, darling!" Draco said. "I was worried when you didn't come to dinner. Is everything all right?"

She shook her head quickly. He was on his feet immediately, crossing the room and taking her hands in his. She felt another wave of guilt overtake her as she saw the concern in his eyes.

"What happened?" he asked, his voice silk as he spoke to her. He rubbed his thumbs on the tops of her hand. "Darling..."

She started to weep. Her head dropped and she shook her head, feeling the blood her hot skin boil. He was waiting patiently for her to answer, and she realized two things:

Firstly, Draco loved her.

If he didn't, he wouldn't hold her this way. He would gently demand to know what had happened. He wouldn't hold her like this, he wouldn't whisper comforting things in her ears.

And there was this overwhelming guilt inside of her now, a guilt that screamed and clawed away at her mind and soul. It made her weak. She was putty in Draco's arms.

Secondly, it wasn't her fault that Cedric kissed her. She hadn't flirted with him, hadn't touched him, hadn't encouraged him. Still, she thought that she should have done more than just run. She could have done anything and allowed it to be justifiable.

"___," Draco whispered her name, bringing his hands through her hair. "Please, darling. Tell me what happened."

"Cedric kissed me," she breathed out quickly, screwing her eyes shut as the words escaped her.

Draco's hands froze. She sniffed as he pulled away, his mouth slightly open as he stepped backwards. She felt her eyes swell at the gleam of disbelieving hatred in his eyes.

"What?" he spat.

"He was walking me home because I was upset, and I said goodnight and then he just leaned in and - I didn't react, I swear, Draco. I wouldn't dare to that to you! I don't like him, honestly! I thought we were just friends."

"Diggory kissed you," he said slowly. His teeth snapped together. "And wait - what were you doing letting him walk you back here? You knew where I was, you couldn't find me?"

"Draco, I wanted to-"

He scoffed and turned around, pushing a hand through his blond hair. She reached for him and choked down a sob as he pressed his fists against his face and shook his head.

"Blimey, ___," he hissed. He turned back to her, and her heart dropped at the undeniable sadness in his reddening eyes. "For Merlin's sake..."

"Draco, I never wanted to hurt you," she sobbed. "I only want to be with you. You know that! You must know that!"

"I don't know what I know," he snapped. He looked up at the ceiling. "I know that this conversation is over for tonight. Goodnight, darling."

He stomped up the stairs. She was left to crumble against the wall, her sobs coming too quickly and too often out of her throat. The way he spat her nickname - darling - stuck with her. It was a dagger in her heart, and it threatened to split her in two.