chapter thirty-three

Draco wasn't waiting for her when she got out of Divination. She understood that he was probably just caught up in talking with his friends, or that his class had just gone over. She walked out of the classroom alone.

For some reason, she wasn't upset about what Ron had said. She knew that he would never accept her after she told him about who she was dating. Ron was always proud of himself because he wasn't full of himself as a pureblood, but it all honesty, he prided himself on other things, such as not being a Slytherin. Whether he knew it or not, he was no better than Draco or her.

It was chilly outside. Leaves were starting to fall on the grass. They seemed to fall later and later every year. She was walking underneath a large tree in the courtyard when something hit her on the head.

"What in the-" She rubbed the sore spot on the right side of her head and looked up.

"Hey," said Draco, as he sat in the crook of two branches.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

He shrugged. "Just sitting. Wanna join? We can ditch Charms and study for Potions."

"You'd ditch class with me?" she asked, smiling.

"You're the best person to ditch class with." He leaned forward and held out his hand. "C'mon. I'll help you."

She quickly lifted her bag off of her shoulder. She handed it to Draco before gripping the nearest part of the trunk and heaving her body forward. Draco reached out and grabbed her waist so she wouldn't fall as she turned around and sat next to him.

For the next hour, they hid in the cover of green leaves and large branches in the crook of a tree. Her legs were intertwined with his, and they read aloud to each other, not afraid of being heard, as the wind was loud enough to block the sound of their voices.

Draco sighed. ___ looked up at him and smiled. "What is it, Draco?" she asked.

"I hope Professor Snape isn't really going to make us mix this potion alone in class today," he grumbled. "Four hours of stirring? I'd rather hex myself."

She laughed. "Don't be ridiculous."

"I'm not," he whined. "I just hate when he doesn't let us work together." He grabbed her hand and pulled it to his lips. "I'm only ever good at my work when you're my partner." He kissed the top of her hand.

"Not true." She rolled her eyes as he kissed her above her knuckles. "Draco, stop. I'm trying to get some work done. You made me miss out on class, so this is your payback. Help me study and stop distracting me!"

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh, so I'm distracting you, eh?" he asked lowly, his eyes gleaming with mischief.

___ scoffed. "Knock it off."

She looked up as students began to spill out of the castle, clutching books and bags and heading off to their next class. ___ watched them go by. She smiled when a boy with red-brown hair glanced up at her and waved from his spot on the grass.

"Hey, ___," he called politely.

She waved back. "Hi, Cedric." He walked on by. ___ picked up her quill and began jotting down notes in her journal again.

Draco scoffed. "Cedric Diggory? Did you just wave to Cedric Diggory?"

"I did," she said simply. "Why?"

Draco clenched his jaw and shrugged. "No reason. None at all, actually." He licked his lips and stared ahead. After a minute, he looked back at her. "How long have you two been talking, exactly?"