chapter forty

She was quite literally taken aback by the grace Draco showed as he began to lead them. His hand was tight, yet comfortable against her waist. She could feel his warmth through the fabric of her dress.

His other hand, equally as warm, held her hand. He danced with her like he had during their practice, only much, much better. He spun them around on time with the song, and when it came time for him to place both of his hands on her waist and hoist her into the air, he spun around without falter.

She laughed as she was placed back on her feet. He grinned at her, tugging her even closer as she threw her head back with blissful laughter. She barely had to do any of the work - Draco was doing his share and more.

He pulled her off of the dance floor. They breathlessly laughed, hands wringed together, faces shining with a thin layer of sweat. He pulled her close for a short, sweet kiss, one that left her head spinning for a few seconds.

A band began to play loud music. Everyone ran over to the small stage. Draco pulled her over. He turned towards her, grabbing both of her hands as they danced in tune to the fast paced music.

They must have danced for hours. The loud music had made a home in the base of her throat and her eardrums. Draco spun her around randomly just to hear her laugh. He yanked her close towards the end of the final song and peppered kisses down her cheek and jaw.

When the band left and the crowd began to pull apart, Draco pulled her to an empty table. He grinned and rubbed his hands up and down her arms, working on catching his breath as she did. He took her hands and squeezed them.

"I'll get you a Pumpkin Juice," he said, pulling back. "Wait here."

"Okay," she breathed.

He let go of her hand. She stared longingly after him, smiling as he looked back to smirk at her. Her heart was beating madly in her chest, fluttering like the wings of a bird that had been caged far too long.

"Having fun?" she heard Cedric ask.

She spun around. "Very much so!" she said. "How about you? You're the star of the show, Cedric."

He chuckled. "I guess you're right."

"Of course I am. You're the real competitor for Hogwarts." Her eyes fell on the boy's date. She held out her hand. "Oh! Hello. I don't think we've met, but I'm ___."

"Cho," she said, taking her hand and shaking it. "I think we are in Charms together, right?"

"Right," she replied.

"You know Cedric?"

"We met during the Quidditch World Cup this summer," Cedric said. "___ lives with the Weasleys."

"Oh! Well, it was very nice to meet you," she said genuinely.

"You, too."

"Maybe I'll talk to you more in class," she suggested.

"Definitely," ___ agreed.

Cho glanced up at her date. "Don't you think we can squeeze one more dance in, Cedric?"

"Of course," he said, placing his hand on top of hers. He looked back to his friend and smiled. "If you'll excuse me-"

"Have fun," she said, waving to the two as they disappeared back into the crowd.

She turned around as Draco sauntered over with two goblets of Pumpkin Juice. He smirked and handed her a goblet. Before she could take a sip, Pansy was running over.

"Wait, wait!" she hissed. She pulled something from her shawl. A tiny, dark brown bottle. "Want some?"

"What is it?" Draco asked.

"Firewhiskey," she whispered, eyes gleaming. "To spike our drinks! Just a tad, of course. It took a lot to get this much."

"How did you get that?" ___ asked, eyes wide.

"I have my ways," Pansy said smugly.

She held out the bottle to ___'s goblet. She glanced up at Zabini and Goyle, who were throwing their heads back as they downed several cups of clearly spiked Pumpkin Juice. They guffawed like total idiots as the alcohol burned their throats. ___ pulled her cup back and shook her head.

"No way," she said. "We can't drink that stuff! We're not old enough. We'll act like total idiots!"

"Suit yourself," Pansy said. "Don't know when you became so high and mighty."

"I just don't want to do anything stupid," she explained. "Draco, can we just dance?"

She looked up at Draco, who was staring at her in disbelief. Pansy shrugged and dumped a quick splash into Draco's goblet. ___ frowned in disappointment and turned away from her date, walking towards the exit.

"___, what are you doing?" Draco called after her. "You can't leave yet!"

She turned around and pushed her goblet of Pumpkin Juice towards Draco's chest. Her eyes were brimming with tears as she stepped away from him.

"There! If you want to drink so much, spike that one, too. Get drunk like your friends. Just know that I am not going to be involved. People like that get stupid when they're drunk."

"It's just for fun," Draco scoffed.

"It could be dangerous," she insisted. "But by all means, Draco, have your drinks. Goodnight."

She turned around and walked away. Before she could leave, she felt Draco's warm hand wrap around her wrist. He looked at her pleadingly.

"Don't leave," he said.

"Then don't make me," she whispered.

He pursed his lips and nodded. Quickly, he walked back to Crabbe and shoved both goblets in his hands. He hurried back to ___, who was smiling again.

"There," he said. "Better?"

To answer him, she cupped his face in her hands and kissed him. He chuckled against her lips and pulled back, grinning as she swiped her thumb across his bottom lip to wipe away traces of lipstick.

"Thank you," she said. "Can we dance again?"

"Absolutely," he said.

He pulled her back onto the dance floor. They started spinning in the middle of a song, so their rhythm was a tad off. It only made it to be more entertaining, as Draco tightened his grip on her waist and spun them quickly with the others.

She laughed and wrapped her arms around his neck. He ducked his head, and she let her eyes fluttered shut as he touched his forehead to hers. It was only them in that moment, wrapped around each other, as close as they could get, cheeks pink with blush and skin sticky with sweat, hair messier than earlier.

She pulled back to find that he was staring at her. His grey eyes wide with realization that she didn't quite understand. She shook her head and smiled softly.

"What are you staring at me like that for?" she asked, titling her head.

"Nothing," he said quickly. He blinked rapidly. "I just... you look beautiful."

"You've told me," she said with a giggle.

"I know," he replied. "But that doesn't mean I can't say it again and again."

She smiled and rested her head on his chest. They were just swaying now, the music soft and slow and the snow falling softly from the ceiling. The had both hands on her waist - gently stroking the small of her back.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

"Why?" she asked, lifting her head up.

"I was an absolute git earlier," he mumbled.

"That's okay," she sighed.

He chuckled before his voice faded to seriousness. "I wanted to make this night perfect for you, and I almost ruined it for a drink."

"I'm not mad, Draco," she assured him. "And nothing can ruin this night for me."

She felt his lips on her hair. She smiled, pulling him impossibly closer and shut her eyes. Nothing could make this night any more perfect than it already was.