chapter twenty-eight

For the first time in over a year, she sat at the Slytherin table. Draco sat across from her. When no one was looking, he put his hand underneath the table and grabbed her. He chatted with his friends as normal as he ever did. If it wasn't for the constant strokes his thumb made across her fingers, she would have thought he'd forgotten about her.

"Now that we're all settled in and sorted," Dumbledore announced. "I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests as well. You see, Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Triwizard Tournament!

"Now for those of you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school, a single students is selected to compete. Now let me be clear! If chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say, these contests are not for the faint hearted. But more of that later! For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beaubaxton's Academy of Magic, and their Headmistress, Madame Maxine!"

The doors of the Great Hall flew open, and the students gaped at the sight of several teenage girls, all looking strikingly similar in their blue uniforms and perfectly kept hair. They moved down the aisle in perfect, airy steps, twirling and leaping, twirling and bowing.

Draco and his friends' eyes went wide. They, along with a large majority of the male students, whispered about them under their breaths. ___ didn't look at her boyfriend as she kicked his knee as hard as she could underneath the table.

"Ouch!" he hissed, pulling his hand from hers and rubbing his sore kneecap. He shot her a glare and she smirked and shrugged.

When the next school came, ___ found herself rolling her eyes and looking away. Draco and his friends were overwhelmed by seeing Viktor Krum himself step through those doors. ___ paid more attention to the pattern on the tabletop than the sounds of boots stomping confidently behind her.

"No one else even stands a chance," Draco said. "Not with Viktor Krum. He's got to get picked."

"He hasn't even put his name in yet, Draco," she found herself saying. "Why are you so sure he'll get picked?"

"Um, because it's Viktor Krum, that's why," Blaise scoffed. "And why are you so concerned about him? You fancy him or something, ____?"

"No," she said. "I was just saying-"

"Just saying...." Goyle said, propping his head up on his hand and blinking. "Just saying what? Viktor, so dreamy?"

"As if," she said. Her face burned.

"Oooh, she's got a crush!" Crabbe whispered loudly. The three boys laughed.

Draco elbowed Blaise in the stomach. He reached over and grabbed both Crabbe and Goyle by their short hair. Roughly, he hit their heads together. "Knock it off!" he said. They looked at him in confusion. "Whether you like it or not, ___ is one of us."

"But she's a Weasley," Crabbe whined.

"She is not one of them," hissed Draco. "It isn't her fault she has to live with them. Now lay off!"

Blaise looked from ___ to Draco. His face became pale with realization and he gasped. He gripped Draco's upper arm and pointed a finger at his chest. Draco shrugged him off.

"You... you and her... how long have you two been together?"

"Together?" Crabbe muttered.

"Don't be ridiculous, they're not," Goyle said. "Why would Malfoy want to date the-"

"We are," Draco admitted softly, glancing at ___ with a sorrowful expression, as if telling his friends was the last thing he'd meant to do.

She blushed and looked down. He composed himself and gave his friends long, hard stares as they shared surprised gasps.

"But if you say a word to anybody, I will personally have my father get you three removed from this school. Do you understand?"

"Perfectly," Goyle said, swallowing hard in fear. "But why can't we say anything?"

"Because the Weasleys aren't fans of either of us," Draco said coldly. "And ___ would prefer to get along with her caretakers. If they knew she was with me, there would be more than an uproar at home."

She smiled sadly. "If things were different-"

"They're not," Draco interrupted. He smiled at her. "But that's all right." He took her hand underneath the table again. They smiled at each other.

"Bloody hell," Goyle muttered. "You two really are together. And you've been snogging behind our backs the whole time?"

___ grimaced at the word, but nodded. "Pretty much."

Blaise mumbled a curse word under his breath. Draco laughed, clearly amused by his friends' reactions. He was more relaxed now, his shoulders weren't so tense as he talked to the only four people he cared about in the school.