chapter sixty-three

Draco couldn't help but go after her. He felt so guilty that it overwhelmed him; it hurt him to his very core. He had made her cry - and it was selfish, unjustified.

And what in Merlin's name was on her hand?

Don't come looking for me, Malfoy.

"____!" he half whispered, half shouted. He was sprinting down the steps, jumping over the gaps as they moved. "____!"

He made a beeline for the girls' dorm rooms. His blond hair was falling messily on his forehead. He slammed to a stop when he saw the door shut tight.

"___," he said, smacking his palms against the door. "___!"

"Go away, Malfoy," she said, voice thick with tears. She slid down the door, sinking to the floor in a pathetic heap. "Leave me alone."

"No," he said. "I need you to hear me out! I am so sorry. I'm sorry, alright? Everything is going to be okay - I am not upset with you, darling."

She buried her face in her sleeves. He sounded sincere, but how on Earth was she supposed to wholeheartedly believe that everything was going to be okay? It couldn't be, not when this scar was festering on her skin.

She lifted her head. "Everything is not okay, Draco. It's never been less okay."

"Explain it to me," he said. "Please, darling. I just want to understand what's been going on. What's on your hand? Why are you so frightened?" He paused before he continued in a much softer tone. "If it's the rumors about the Dark Lord, please, don't worry. I'll protect you."

She almost smiled at his sincerity. "Draco, I-"

"Open the door," he pleaded.

She licked her dry lips. "I don't want you to ruin your school year for me."

"What does that mean?"

"I'll be okay," she said, voice cracking. "I'll be fine, Draco. I promise. But I just need you to... to not ask me about things-"

"Like what's on your hand," he guessed.

She nodded even though he could not see her. "Yes, exactly that."

He scoffed, bringing a pale hand to push back the hair hanging in front of his face. "Then what am I supposed to do?"

She smiled. "Pretend everything is alright, maybe."

He shut his eyes. He didn't want to he kept in the dark, but if she wasn't willing to tell him anything, he couldn't force it out of her. He would have to wait for her to come around or just find out on his own.

"Fine," he said, almost harshly. He stopped and fixed his voice when he added, "But can you tell me... you're not in danger, are you?"

She scoffed jokingly. "Merlin, no, Draco. This is Hogwarts. It's safe here, right?"

He chuckled. "Right."

She waited for a moment. They stood in silence, not seeing each other, but feeling like they were close enough to touch. She loved how they could do that.

"We're okay, Draco," she said.

He turned his back to the door and sank down to the stone floor. Pulling his knees up to his chest, he sighed. "I know. I know we are."

She sniffed. "So much for no fights this year, huh?"

He laughed. "Yeah, guess we're not as good at relationships as we thought. I suppose it can't always be summer. But we'll have more good days."

"You believe so?" she asked.

"Truly," he said. "And this year isn't over, you know. We can make it up to each other, surely."

She nodded. "Yes, we can."