chapter forty-six

The next day, all students were ordered to the Black Lake to attend the second task of the Triwizard Tournament. In the chilly air of the late winter, students buried their faces in the warm cocoon of their scarves and the collars of their coats.

Draco walked alongside Goyle, whose face was still red from ___'s outburst last night. Draco had yet to confront him, instead focusing on scolding Pansy for thinking she should treat ___ so horribly.

All morning, he had been trying to find her. It was his turn to feel guilty. In a matter of five days, he had turned all of his friends on his girlfriend just for a mistake that she didn't even mean to create.

"Malfoy, aren't we going to breakfast?" Goyle asked.

"No," he spat. "And if you're going to bicker about it, perhaps I should remind you that it's your fault all of this happened."

"Is not!" he exclaimed. "She shouldn't have been listening to what I was saying-"

Draco turned around and jabbed a gloved finger in his face. "You shouldn't have been talking about her in the first place!" He stepped back and shook his head. "She was your friend, too, Goyle. If we don't find her..."

"We will," Goyle replied coolly to Draco's threat.

Draco was too upset to even finish. He stomped his way down to the docks. Pansy Parkinson was standing off to the side next to her group of friends. She pouted when Draco approached her.

"I hope you're here to apologize to me, Drakey," she said.

He scoffed. "Hardly, Parkinson. Have you seen ___?"

"No," she said, huffing and crossing her arms. "Didn't see her last night, didn't see her this morning."

Draco blinked. "She didn't come back at all?" he asked.

"That's what I said, isn't it?" she growled. Her expression changed quickly and she leaned forward, throwing her arms around Draco. "Oh, Drakey! Please don't be mad at me. Forget that girl, she's nothing but trouble!"

"Get off of me," he hissed, throwing her arms away from him. She whimpered and sniffed, making him roll his eyes. "Honestly!"

Draco and Goyle went to the railing. The task had already begun by the time they got in their places. He barely had time to glare at the back of Diggory's head before he saw him dive into the water.

For the next hour, he stood in the cold, shivering under his coat. He looked all around for her, resorting to even asking girls he knew shared the same dorm. They all shook their heads at him.

"Malfoy, look! There's Diggory," Goyle said, pointing to the water.

Draco scoffed. "Why should I care if that miserable, bloody git comes up for air or not-"

He cut himself off as Cedric popped out of the water, his arms circled around a girl that was gasping for air. Draco's heart sank in his chest as he squinted. There was no way that was her, right?

But it was.

"Merlin's sake!" he yelled.

He pushed himself off of the railing and shoved himself between a bunch of first years. When he reached the bottom dock, he saw her just getting onto the surface. He pushed his way through and dropped on his knees where she was kneeling.

"Bloody hell, ___!" he cried. He yanked a towel out of Diggory's hands. "Give me that!"

"Draco," she stuttered, still coughing water out of her lungs. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to kiss him, I-"

"I know," he interrupted, wrapping the towel around her. He shook his head and pushed wet strands of hair out of her face. "God, I know. I'm so sorry, darling, I overreacted-"

"You didn't."

"But I did, and I am sorry," he said. He leaned forward and kissed her gently. Her teeth chattered as he kissed her. He pulled back and rubbed his shoulders quickly to create friction. "You're freezing."

"I'm okay," she stuttered.

"Draco!" Cedric said. Draco shot a glare towards the boy who was being loudly praised. "I'm sorry, mate. It was a mistake-"

"I don't need to hear your pathetic apologies!" he spat.

"Draco, please forgive him," ___ pleaded. "He saved my life."

Draco scoffed. "Why were you even involved, anyway? What's wrong with his girlfriend?"

"Moody saw Cedric and I," she explained. "And then Cedric and Cho broke up. That's probably why. But it's over now, right?"

He had a sour expression on his face as he glanced up at Cedric. Cedric smiled genuinely, his eyes sad. He had one arm circled around Cho now, clearly forgiven by his act of victory.

"Fine. No harm done."

"Thank you," ___ breathed.

Draco wrapped the towel tighter around her shoulders. He pushed his forehead against hers and shut his eyes. She leaned into him, grateful for his warmth.

"I am so sorry for what Pansy did to you," he said, his voice breaking. "She was wrong. She's always wrong, you know. You're always going to be my girl. I'm never going to want anyone else."

"Me neither," she whispered.

"And Pansy and Goyle called you those awful things," he continued, his voice wavering. "God, love, I never thought that of you. Not once. I adore you. You know that, don't you?"

"I do," she said.

The crowd erupted in cheer as someone else popped out of the water. Neither Draco nor ___ looked. The applause seemed to sound like it was meant for them as Draco wrapped his arms all the way around her and drew her close, planting one long, warm kiss on her frozen lips, bringing her back to life.