Chapter 19: Breaking Point

I froze. "I'm what now?"

"You're pregnant, dear." The lady said, halfway laughing. I did not see what was funny!

"Oh, no there's got to be some mistake. There's no way I could be preg.."

Then I remembered that one night about 3 months ago. Sean had come over after he had a rough day at work. He and one of his friends, whom he had hired to work for him had gotten into an argument over one of the bits they wanted to do for the show. Sean had fired him on the spot and came to my condo heated. I tried to comfort him the best I could but all he wanted to do was "release his frustrations" on me - sexually.

"Ma'am? Are you there?" The lady said hesitantly.

I rubbed my face. This cannot be happening. "Maybe there's another Alea Peters..?"

The lady laughed again. "No, dear, it is you. Alea Annette Peters, age 26..."

I sighed to let her know she could stop listing my biography. "Yeah. That's me."

"Look, you're not alone in this, OK? There's tons of specialists and programs that can help people like you."

People like you. Great. Now I was in a category.

"And on the bright side, all of your tests came out negative. But we do suggest that you schedule an appointment with an OBGYN to make sure you and the fetus are healthy. You should also start taking some prenatal pills."

Prenatal pills.

OBGYN.

Fetus.

I was going to be a mother - in the middle of all this madness. 

What would Sean say? The last time i had talked to him, I basically told him I wanted nothing to do with him, now I wanted everything to do with him. For the baby's sake.

"Alea?"

"Yes, I'm here. Sorry, just a lot going through my mind. I don't know where to start."

"Is this your first time being a mother?"

"Yes."

"You should definitely swing by a women's clinic to pick up some information."

"OK, thank you." I hung up. I couldn't bare to hear anymore "advice".

"Alea! Devry dropped his food on the floor!" Chris yelled from the kitchen.

I groaned and for the first time, I felt the pains of being a pregnant woman with absolutely no help at all. I might as well get use to it. I'd probably be single in a while anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 We chilled around the apartment the rest of the day. The thoughts of me actually being a mother still hadn't hit me yet and I still had my mentality of a black woman over 20 with no kids. However, after taking care of Bridget's kids, I felt like I'd been a mother for years. I had no clue how she was able to not go insane with all these kids.

I was able to get all of the kids fed, washed, and in bed before 10 again, without Ryan's help of course. He was still angry and stayed in his and Chris's room the whole day.

I was laying on the couch reading Bridget's Bible when Ryan came into the room. He sat on the couch across from me.

It was silent, as I turned the pages of the Bible.