Chapter 21: The Truth Shall Come To Light

"Alea!!" Ryan ran up to me a hugged me, which caught me off guard.

"Hey you guys!"

"Alea!" Tamara and Tanya followed in Ryan's excitement.

"I got cookies! You want some?" Chris said, shoving the packet of Oreos in my face.

I giggled. "No thank you hon. You enjoy them."

A tall blonde lady in a black and gray pinstripe suit strolled over to me. "I'm guessing you're Alea, correct?"

"Yes.." Social worker. Great.

She held out her hand. "I'm Donova Smith. I work for Children's Welfare of Atlanta.

I shook her hand cautiously. "I'm Bridget's friend."

She turned her nose up. "I heard."

She looked me up and down and walked around me, examining me. "You married?" She grabbed my hand.

I quickly pulled away. "I'm sorry, I'm straight."

She let out a hearty laugh. "No, silly. I am too. It was only a question, relax."

"No, I'm not married."

"Have any kids of your own?"

I gulped. I hadn't even told Sean yet. I felt so wrong to tell a complete stranger. "I'm expecting."

Ryan gasped. "Alea, you're having a baby?"

Before I could answer, Donova said, "How wonderful! Congratulations!"

"Thank you." I squeaked.

"When is it due?"

"Uh, I'm not sure yet." Why was she prying into my life? I just met the chick!

"Boy or girl?" She went on.

"I don't know yet."

"How far along are you?"

"I really don't think that's any of your-"

"How adorable!" She sighed, tired from over excitement. "I never had any kids myself."

I nodded, uninterested in her personal life.

"Well Alea, you do understand that these kids can no longer stay with you."

"What?"

"I said, you do understand that these kids can-"

"No, I heard what you said." I scoffed. "What do you mean they can't stay with me? I've done nothing wrong."

"By law, you are not allowed to stay with them. They have to be with a parent or legal guardian." She forced a smile. "And you're not a legal one, dear."

"Says who? Bridget is perfectly fine with me watching her kids."

"That's all fine and dandy, Alea, but the law says otherwise. Have you signed any legal documents stating that you are their legal guardian?"

"No." I muttered.

"Then they will not be staying with you."

"But we want to stay with Alea! You can't tell us what to do!" Chris stomped on her foot.

"OUCH!" Donova screamed. "You little brat!"

I pulled Chris to me. "Chris!"

"She deserved it!"

She glared at me with a face that could stop a hurricane. "They will not be staying with you, Alea Peters. I will find their fathers and they will be staying with them." She stalked back over to the waiting area and snatched up her purse. She then came back over to us.