Chapter 20: The Baby

When I opened my eyes, I was laying on a cold white bed in what looked like a hospital room. The kids immediately came into my mind.

Oh Lord. Did I drop Devry?!?

"Nurse! Nurse!!" I yelled, frantically.

A few seconds later a brunette nurse came in. "Yes?"

"I need to leave. I have kids I'm supposed to be taking care of. Their mother is here..I have to take care of them."

"You can't leave, hon. You passed out, out there."

"Where are my - I mean - the kids? Did I drop the baby?"

"In the waiting room talking with a social worker. And no, the nurse you were talking to caught him before you fell."  A social worker? Oh, this can't be good.

"I have to right now." I said, getting up out of the bed.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry but you can't leave. It's against the law to leave. We haven't done any tests yet."

"I don't care what the law says." I said, putting on my shoes. "I don't care what the tests say. I know what's wrong with me already, I'll save the doc' some time."

"Then what's wrong with you?" She inquired.

"I'm pregnant, OK? It's probably just dizziness. I heard that was one of the symptoms of this crap, right?" I was fed up with all these tests, and doctors, and people telling me what I need to do.

"Ma'am, in that case, you still need to stay here. We need to make sure the baby's alright. You do care about the baby, don't you?"

I froze and sighed. I looked at her. "How long is this going to take?"

"About 30 to 45 minutes."

I groaned and stomped my feet. "I don't have that kind of time.."

"Please, it's for your baby's sake." She pleaded.

I thought about it. I guess it was time for me to start doing for myself, and less for others. I did have a kid on the way. "OK, fine."

I laid back down on the bed.

The nurse smiled. "Great. The doctor will be in here momentarily."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**In the waiting room**

"How long have you been living with Alea?"

"I think it's been two days. I don't know." Ryan said in monotonous tone.

The social worker nodded. Doesn't seem like I'm going to get anywhere. She thought.

"So, you never answered my question. How did your mother fall?"

"I told you the first time you asked. She was cooking and she fell. That's it. I don't know anything else."

"I'm guessing you all don't have the same father." She said, scanning over all of the kids. Tamara and Tanya were glaring her down.

Ryan shot her a sharp look. "Why do you say that?"

The social worker's face grew red and she tugged on the collar of her shirt. "Oh, I don't..I don't know." Bad assumption to make.

"Why are you here?" Chris spoke up.

"I'm here to watch you guys while your mother and this Alea person, are being taken care of."