Chapter ten: No

The doorbell sounded twice followed by a deep silence, Paul walking as slow as possible as he approached the door to take a look by the peephole. Yes, there he was, the landlord, with a very unfriendly look on his face as well as an impatient body gesture.

He wasn't planing on opening the door, actually he was going to do the same he did the past week, make like he wasn't at home and pray for everything to see him go away and try another time. It was obvious he was there to get the money, but of course after the first two days he said he needed more time that man wasn't going to wait anymore. And here he was once more, losing his patience as he banged with his fist against the door.

"Van Vliet! Open that door you shithead! I know you are there!!" Exclaimed the man and Paul gulped hard, still silent and not daring to open the door, if it wasn't because the noise or the vibes on the atmosphere made Tord start crying... "I can hear the little brat cry! Stop hiding you damn bastard and pay your rent!"

He wasn't going to blame the little one for crying so after hurrying to hold him in his arms and try to calm him down Paul returned to the door. It opened slowly and making a horrible noise as his eyes looked down, he felt so small right now it was shameful.

"Sir... I-I-"

"Enough excuses! You are getting late to pay the third part of last month's and this one's rent. I'm not going to pass this more, so you pay me now or you and the little brat are going to the street. You decide" spoke the adult with a very severe look on his face. It was obvious he was tired of dealing with not only Paul but everyone in the building, also that he had no remorse on putting him in the street by his own.

"I still don't have the money... give me a few more days! I'm still working and the payment will be almost there, and-"

"No, enough is enough, last time I let someone slip like this he ended up owing me four months and that's a lot of money I had to put from my own wallet" then he made a step forward almost forcing Paul to take one back, holding Tord tightly who was still whimpering. "I know the kinds of you, rejected conflictive boys without any studies, doing nothing for your lives. If you think you can keep on making fun of me you are very wrong, take your damn things and get out, now!"

His words where harsh, but he had no way to deny any of it, also not voice to do so, if the situation was so bad right now who knew how it could go if he said something back.

"Please! Just a few more days! I can't get to the street right now"

"Not my problem. You should have thought about it better before getting here, and let's not talk about being so irresponsible to stick it in someone and not get protection" said giving a look at the small baby who was holding onto Paul's shirt as he kept his cries.

With such words some rage accumulated inside the boy, but he tried to suppress it, but it was a matter of time for the last straw to arrive.

"You know, if you where cute enough I would offer you some little job like the young mother from the fourth or the woman from the fifth, they won't have enough money but at least they know how to pay right..." that was the one, the comment that literally sentenced Paul to get out.

It was a loud noise followed by even more noise and the cries of Tord even louder, some neighbors getting out of their apartments to see what was going on on the hallway, at least it wasn't something too bad, just some well thrown punches until someone decided to make it stop between them.

Basically that's how Paul ended up out at the front door of the big old building with a few backpacks and a big suitcase following behind him, his face brushed and his mind a mess, where could he go now? The street was too cold and snow was starting to pile up with the passing of days, he thanked the experience he had in such situations, knowing he had to get at least to some place covered, but where? Streets at night weren't safe. Oh right, he had his job, he still had that job and he hoped it lasted enough because that was the only safe and covered place he had for now, also the only source of
money, hopefully enough for them.