Dan Howell x Reader | Haunted

Description : "You just moved in next door and you're convinced your flat is haunted so you seek refuse in my flat when you get freaked out and eventually rope me into investigating for paranormal activity and the only reason I'm doing any of this is cause you're really freaking cute." AU
Warnings : Implied Paranormal Activity, Swearing, Fluff.
Word Count : 905
|||
I am one hundred percent completely done with my flat. Ever since I bought it, freaky shit has been happening. I'm talking cupboards opening, glasses breaking, lights turning off, cold spots everywhere, and not to mention the fact that I always set my keys on the kitchen table, but in the morning I always find them hung up on the key rack.

Tonight has been an especially bad night, just general bad vibes and creepy happenings so I go over to my friend Dan's flat across from mine. I don't mind hanging out with him since we mostly just play video games while I tell him about all the creepy shit that happens in there.

"Dan, I swear my flat is cursed."

"Yeah?"

"Definitely. I think we need to burn sage in there or something."

He laughs at me, then continues to obliterate me in Mario Kart. I nudge him to try and mess him up, but end up dropping my controller on the ground.

"Ha-ha!" He teases.

"Oh shut up."

We play for a while, trickery being thrown from either side, then we start to get bored and decide to make some popcorn and watch some anime. I grab the microwaveable popcorn while he grabs a bowl. I'm about to put the bag in the microwave when I hear a door slam through the walls. The time on the clock reads 1:46am, so I doubt any neighbours are up seeming that they're all quite old. I look at Dan wide eyed and he looks unimpressed.

"Don't say it." He says.

"Dan it's the ghost! I told you my flat is haunted! The sound came from my flat!"

"Relax it's probably just a break in."

"Dan!" He laughs at me and sets the bowl on the counter.

"Come on we have to go see!" I say, taking him by the arm and dragging him out the door. I unlock my front door and we step in. Nothing has moved, but the vase of flowers that was on my coffee tables has fallen over and dumped water everywhere.

"See! How do you explain that, Dan!" I say, repeatedly poking his arm.

"Maybe the door slam caused it to fall off the edge."

"Okay, but what slammed the door?" I notice Dan is about to comment back something factual, so I sit down on the couch, disappointed that he doesn't share the same enthusiasm I do with the supernatural. He sits beside me and lays his arm behind me on the top of the couch.

"What do I know? Maybe it is a ghost." He speaks up. I smile and look at him.

"Then how do we get rid of it?" I ask.

"Not sure." He says.

"Let's go back to my flat, I'm really craving that popcorn." He continues. I nod and skip off back to Dan's flat. He follows after me, and soon we are back in the kitchen. I put the popcorn in the microwave, set the time and press start.

When the popcorn is done, we go back to the living room and start watching a random anime Dan throws on. Throughout it, I keep hearing noises from around the building, and I know Dan hears them too because every time something makes a sound, we make eye contact.

A while later, I start to get tired and lay my head on Dan's lap. He subconsciously strokes his hand through my hair, and it's actually really cute. When I moved in about a month ago and first met Dan, I'll admit I did think he was super hot, but he's actually much more than that. He's extremely intelligent, he has the same sense of humour as me, he can cook, and he puts more work into his YouTube Channel than people think.

"What are you looking at?" He mumbles to me. I must have been staring.

"You." I reply, sleepily.

"Oh?" He says, raising his eyebrows a bit sleepily, followed by a yawn.

"Yeah, I was thinking."

"Bout what?

I keep looking at him, and the longer I do, the more I can feel myself falling for him. His soft voice, his chocolate eyes and dark, curly hair. He's still looking at me, and before I can stop myself I cradle my hand on the back of his neck and pull him down to my lips. We connect and our lips touch softly and sleepily. One of his hands move to the top of my stomach and the other stays in my hair. We move apart and I cuddle into his lap.

"I don't think I want that poltergeist to leave if it means you'll stay here." He says. I giggle and yawn.

"Sounds good to me." I say, before falling asleep.

|||

Hey!

This was pretty cute, eh?

Sorry if it's crap, it's 3:14am and I have a final at 9:00am and I'm currently sitting on my bathroom floor writing this while doing a face mask.

Yeah I totally have my life under control.

May we meet again.

- S.W.