Dan Howell x Reader | Ukulele

Description: In your free time, you like to play the ukulele. One day your playing The Judge by Twenty One Pilots, and don't notice Dan listening in on you singing.
Warnings: Fluff, Embarrassment, Swearing.
Word Count: 879
|||
I step out of the shower and messily dry my hair with my towel. It's still sopping wet but I don't care. I throw on an oversized white t-shirt and some grey sweats then make my way to Dan and I's bedroom.

Dan's recording a video with Phil right now, so I close the door so I can play my ukulele without having the noise in the background of their video. I play my ukulele when I'm bored, which is a lot, so I've gotten pretty good at it. I mostly play Twenty One Pilots songs, which probably gets annoying but I love them so who cares.

My ukulele was expensive, after playing on a crappy one I got at some indie music store for a year, I decided to treat myself and buy a nice one from Kala. It's a solid mahogany scallop tenor, and may have costed close to $500, but it plays beautifully so it was worth it.

I pick up my instrument and make sure it's tuned, then sit cross legged by the window to play. I start to play one of my favourite songs, which is The Judge by Twenty One Pilots.

"Nah nah nah nah, oh, oh" I sing quietly, strumming carefully.

"When the leader of the bad guys sang, something soft and soaked in pain,
I heard the echo from his secret hideaway. He must've forgot to close his door,
as he cranked out those dismal chords,
and his four walls declared him insane." I sing, subconsciously getting a bit louder. I was in no way a good singer, but I love to sing, so who gives a flying fuck.

"I found my way,
right time wrong place,
as I pled my case."

Here comes the chorus.

"You're the judge! Oh no. Set me free!
You're the judge! Oh no. Set me free!
I know my soul's freezing, Hell's hot for good reason, so please. Take me."

I'm so busy playing, I don't hear the door creak open a bit.

"Three lights are lit,
But the fourth one's out.
I can tell cause it's a bit darker,
Than the last night's bout.
I forgot about the drought,
Of light bulbs in this house,
So I head out.
Down a route I think is heading south.
But I'm not good with directions,
And I hide behind my mouth.
I'm a pro at imperfections,
And I'm best friends with my doubt.
And now that my mind's out,
And now I hear it clear and loud,
I'm thinking,
Wow, I probably should've stayed inside my house."

There's a sudden clapping behind me and I jump a little bit before whipping around. Dan leans against the door frame smiling at me, and I feel my face go red in embarrassment.

"Oh god that's embarrassing." I say under my breath.

"You were great, Y/n! I didn't know you could play ukulele so well." Dan says, walking over and sitting beside me.

"I usually only play when you're recording."

"Can you play something now?" Dan asks.

I groan, I don't like playing in front of people, I almost always mess up when I do.

"I'm not very good in front of people."

"You were just playing and I was in here!"

"I didn't know you were there, Dan!" I laugh.

"Pleeeease!" He pleads, giving me his bet puppy dog eyes.

"Fine, just, turn around okay?"

"Sure." He says. After he gets up and sits behind the bed, I try to think of a song to play. I decide on one I've been practicing, which is Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood.

After a bit of hesitation, I start.

"All I am is a man,
I want the world in my hands.
I hate the beach,
But I stand in California with my toes in the sand.
Use the sleeves of my sweater,
Let's have an adventure.
Head in the clouds but my gravity's centred.
Touch my neck, and I'll touch yours.
You in those little high waisted shorts, oh.
She knows what I think about,
And what I think about,
One love, two mouths.
One love, one house.
No shirt, no blouse.
Just us, you find out.
Nothing that wouldn't wanna tell you about no." I sing.

I pause at the chorus, hoping that sufficed.

"Keep going!" Dan says.

"'Cause it's too cold whoa,
For you here, and now.
So let me hold whoa,
Both your hands in the holes of my sweater."

I stop there, mostly because I don't know the rest, also because I'm too embarrassed to go on.

Dan gets up from behind the bed and walks over to me.

"I could listen to you sing all day." He says, sitting next to me. I blush at him, and kiss his cheek.

|||

I made new covers for all my imagines because it was annoying me that they don't match XD.

If you don't play the ukulele or listen to Twenty One Pilots I'm sorry, but for those that do ayyyye sup fam!

May we meet again.

SW