one

001 | ❝ My dear little Dolphin

001 | ❝ My dear little Dolphin ❞

🐬🐬🐬

Delphine grew up secluded from many people her age, in fact she never met people her age, younger, or older. The only person she ever knew was her grandmother, Gretchen who always claimed was protecting her from the outside world who just wouldn't understand her. Delphine knew she was different, and she wondered why being different meant she couldn't spend time with children her age. And when Delphine turned Sixteen she hoped it would all change.

It hadn't. Instead, on her sixteenth birthday something that would change her life completely happened. Delphine was sat at the feet of her grandmother who sat on her rocking chair in front of the fire. Gretchen was telling Delphine a story about her mother, the same story she told her every year on her birthday of how much her mother loved her and how she never let her go even when she was dying.

Delphine loved hearing her grandmother tell her stories about her mother, she only wished she remembered her. Only this time, while her grandmother was telling her the story, something had changed. "What happened next nana?" Delphine asked but when she turned her head her grandmothers eyes were closed, she was lent back in her rocking chari her hand still holding on to the hairbrush and some strands of Delphine's hair that she was still brushing. "Nana?" Delphine asked pulling her hair away from her grandmothers hold and turning to look at her.

"Nana, are you asleep? Do you want me to take you to your room?" Delphine asked standing up and pushed her grandmothers shoulder gently but she didn't move. Delphine began to worry as she leaned forward and pressed her ear to her grandmothers chest. Delphine's heart began to race and with out giving it a second thought Delphine called an ambulance.

  🐬🐬🐬

Delphine's grandmother had passed away, and while many of the adults where asking Delphine if she had any other living relative she couldn't answer. She had locked herself away in her bedroom crying thinking of how this could have happened. Her grandmother was the only person she knew was acceptance of the way she looked, sure her grandmother never let her out but Delphine understood the reason behind it all. She remembered all the times she would sneak out of the house only to be dragged back by her grandmother who would start to question if anybody had seen her.

Gretchen hated keeping Delphine locked away in the house, never to explore the world but she was afraid. Afraid that people would try to hurt her the same way her mother had. Though, that night she had learned something about her granddaughter and that was, water had no negative affects on the girl. It was as if she were a mermaid herself.

"Miss Glitz we understand you want to talk to nobody but you must know your grandmother knew this day would come. She's explained she had has a foster home laid out for you, it's all in this letter. If you have any questioned don't hesitate to contact me, please" A man's voice said before a letter was slid through the underside of the door. Delphine let out a sniffle and reached out for the letter taking it in her hands to see her grandmothers perfect handwriting.

This letter and the belongings in this house were all she had left of her grandmother. Her only family had died and she was alone, though she was free to leave the house now without her grandmother reminding her the reactions of people when they saw her, she still couldn't bring herself to leave her room. She had locked herself in the room, the letter in her hands crumpling around the edges as she held it.

  🐬🐬🐬 

A week had passed before Delphine had brought herself to open the letter her grandmother had left her. Enough was enough and Delphine knew she would have to see what her grandmother had to say to her in this letter after her death. Mustering up all the courage she had Delphine ripped open the letter.

My dear little Dolphin,

The letter read, tears began to fall from Delphine's eyes as she remembered what her grandmother would always call her.

By the time you read this I will be in the unknown, I know this is something that may be hard to accept but it is something that everybody goes through at one point. After all I am old, I was bound to leave this world one day or another.

But, this letter is not to talk about my passing.

This letter is to talk about you, I remember the day you were born, your eyes as blue as ever reminding me of the ocean. dolphin's, in some cultures and religions symbolizes life, death, and rebirth as well as nourishment and caregiving. Thing's I knew would be apart of you. It was only my luck that you loved dolphin's as well, I had been the one to suggest the name to your mother.

As you grew older, you grew more peculiar and I wanted you to grow up loving yourself the way you are, and maybe the way I had of showing you to love yourself was not the best way.

For that very reason, I left you some money hidden in a box under my bed. I want you to make your own decisions now, I want you to decide how you want to meet the world. It starts here my little dolphin.

Love,

Nana

Delphine fell back into her bed wondering about that man that had slid this letter under the door. Had he known about her? She thought the letter would mention something about a foster family like the man said but it hadn't. Delphine wondered if her grandmother had really planed to put her in a foster home, it seemed unlikely considering how she had grown up. Thought after thought raced through Delphine's mind until finally she fell into a deep dreamless sleep.

Athor's Note

This is an almost completely new chapter, unlike in the last chapter this time we learn more about the day that Delphine's grandmother died. After this chapter all the other ones will be longer hopefully around 2,000 words right now they are currently 1,000 +.

If anybody want's to read the Mermaid AU, keep a look out for it tomorrow(hopefully I'll be able to post it) it will be called Poor Unfortunate Souls.

Thank you guys, don't forget to vote and comment. ❤️