thirteen

013 | ❝Enoch fixed it.

•••

•••

It was quiet for a while, Enoch had placed the letter on the table in front of him and pressed his lips against the top of Delphine's head. He didn't know what to say but he wished he could find the words. Delphine's cried had turned to hiccups and with each sound Enoch had found his heart breaking for this girl he barely really knew. "Delphine." Enoch said in a soft tone, she didn't answer.

She had drained all her energy crying that when Enoch pulled her away to get a good look at her he found that she had fallen asleep against his chest. Her face was wet with tears and her cheeks red, and though she was asleep small whimpers and cries were leaving her lips every once in a while. She looked so troubled, unlike most people that usually looked peaceful in their sleeps and he wished he could take all her troubles away. He couldn't, and he knew he couldn't, all he knew was that he would only bring the girl more troubles and he didn't want that.

•••

The next morning Delphine woke up with Emma by her side and the letter laying open on the bed side table under the lamp. Delphine let out a yawn and looked around the room as she remembered last night after Enoch had carried her to her room. She remembered a kiss against the forehead but maybe she was imagining things, after all she was pretty tired from all the crying. He had left her alone in the dark room, and all the words of the letter had come pouring into her mind like a hurricane and the nightmares began.

Delphine didn't know how but Emma had heard her cries and came running into the room. She sat in the bed and cradled  her friend back to sleep singing to her, until they both fell back asleep. Delphine slowly got out of bed and looked at her friend with a grateful smile, she never believed she would have friends let alone an amazingly kind friend like Emma.

Emma had awoken just as Delphine had finished getting ready for the day ahead, Delphine hugged her friend and placed a kiss on her cheeks before leaving the room to allow her to get ready. Just as Delphine stepped out of her room she was met with the one and only Victor, his blue eyes holding her own brown eyes pleading her to have the talk. Delphine let out a sigh and looked around the hall hoping to meet somebody so that she could come up with an excuse but there was nobody, just her and Victor. "What is it Victor?"

"I'm sorry." Victor said with a sigh keeping his blue eyes locked on Delphine's brown ones. "I wanted to do something nice for you and I hadn't realized how important that stuffed dolphin toy was to you." The door opened behind Delphine and she was grateful that Emma was there. Delphine looked at her friend hoping that Emma would help her get away from Victor but instead Emma smiled at both of her friends gave them a hug and walked away.

Delphine rolled her eyes and looked back at Victor trying to understand that he was just trying to do something kind for her. They were both quiet for a while and then Delphine smacked her lips together and turned around opening the door to her bedroom gesturing for him to enter. Victor smiled at Delphine and walked into the room watching as Delphine closed the door behind her leaving it a smidge open.

They both sat on the bed and Victor looked at the dolphin he had ripped up noticing that it was back to the way it used to be. "Enoch fixed it." Delphine said noticing Victor was looking at it. With a smile she scooped it up in her hands and brought it close to her chest. "I've had it since I could remember, my grandmother gave it to me." Delphine said looking back up at Victor.

Victor felt a little jealous at the fact that Enoch had been help to her when he wanted to be the one to help her when she needed it most. He had heard the talk Emma and Delphine where having, and just the thought of Delphine liking Enoch made jealousy bubble up Victor's chest, he didn't understand it-- since the first time he had told himself he just wanted to be her friend but everything had changed at some point for him. "I really am sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you, or to rip up your dolphin I really had no idea it's just you were having nightmares and I thought-" Victor stopped talking. He didn't really know what he thought. How was changing her old dolphin toy for a new one going to help against nightmares? "It was stupid."

Delphine bit her bottom lip, her chest tightened and she felt like crying, she felt like such a crybaby and she had already tired herself the night before with so much crying she wasn't going to allow herself to cry again. "I thought you just wanted to be my friend, please understand that, that is all I want in these moments." Delphine said, "I really appreciate you and all you have done for me and I don't want to keep being angry at you but I will ask you to respect my things in the future, everything I brought with me from my grandmothers house was special and important and I can't bare to lose any of it."

"I understand, I really do!" Victor said his lips stretching into a smile.

"Lets go eat breakfast." Delphine then said.