eight

008 | ❝It's terrible what happened to them.

🐬🐬🐬

🐬🐬🐬

It was all over the news, the fat that a ship carrying many passengers on its way to Cairnholms Wales was heartbreaking. The terrible news was splashed on the front page of every newspaper. Though some people had managed to survive the sinking ship others had not been so fortunate and had sunk along with the ship.

The news had caught the attention of two young girls living in Miss Peregrines home. Delphine and Emma were together outside looking through the newspaper before they turned to look at each other with curiosity in their eyes. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Delphine asked her friend as she closed the newspaper.

"We should go check it out?" Emma asked causing Delphine to nod her head.

Quickly both girls got up from their spots in the grass and made their way inside. "What are you two up to?" Miss Peregrine asked as she saw Delphine and Emma run past her, the two girls stopped in their spots. Slowly they both turned around and gave Miss Peregrine innocent smiles in hopes that she wouldn't keep them in the house.

"Nothing." Emma and Delphine answered, Miss Peregrine raised her eyebrow at them.

"Are you sure about that?" Miss Peregrine asked holding up her own copy of the newspaper to the show the girls. Quickly their smiles faded turning to frowns and their once obvious happiness was replaced with sadness.

"Oh, please Miss Peregrine." Delphine pleaded moving towards the woman with her hands up in a pleading manner. "We really want to see the boat."

"Please, we promise not to mess with it." Miss Peregrine put the newspaper on the table before crossing her arms and keeping her eyes on both girls. Emma was already used to Miss Peregrine and the strict looks she would give her and the rest of the children, on the other hand Delphine wasn't use to these types of looks considering her grandmother never really had rules other than 'don't leave the house'.

"Fine." Miss Peregrine said, both Emma and Delphine's eyes widened in surprise causing Miss Peregrine to smile. "But, not right now." She then added noticing the excitement that had crossed both girl's eyes. "Right now, that boat is swarming with people who are looking for it. You may search for it later in the afternoon once everyone has left the beach."

"Thank you, Miss Peregrine!" Emma and Delphine cried out running towards the lady and wrapping their arms around her waist in a hug.

🐬🐬🐬

When the afternoon came Emma and Delphine were more than ready to leave the house. The two teen girls walked side by side out to the beach, and when they got there Emma got a boat that belonged to Miss Peregrine helping Delphine get on it first.

Emma and Delphine worked on rowing the boat to the spot they believed the boat sunk in before stripping out of their dresses. Now in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt the two jumped into the water were almost immediately Delphine's blue mermaid tale appeared.

Both girls looked at each other before deciding on a direction to look for the boat. Thankfully, they had been correct in where the shipwreck had occurred so they didn't have to swim far to find it. Emma and Delphine took each other's hands before swimming into the boat where Emma then used her peculiarity to remove all the water in the space leaving them in fresh air.

In return, Delphine used one of her peculiarities to dry herself off causing her tail to disappear and in turn her legs to appear. Delphine then stood up and helped Emma dry off, both girls then began to look around the boat.

The part of the boat that the girls had managed to enter was clear of any people that may have drowned along with the boat leaving them with a work table and many knick-knacks that had come down with the boat. Emma and Delphine spent their time searching through the boat where they found a secret hatch in the boat. Inside the hatch they found a box that held pictures and books.

The pictures still seemed to be fine, but the books had been destroyed for the most part where the inked words were now smeared making it impossible to read the words. Most of the things had been destroyed in the shipwreck but one thing was for sure to Emma and Delphine. This place would be a perfect get away.

"I do feel bad for the people who didn't make it out of the boat." Emma said with a frown her face looking into a glass window. Delphine nodded her head and walked over to where the girl was standing to see that she was looking at some of the workers who were sat still in some of the seats of the boat.

Delphine had only ever seen one dead body before in her life, her grandmothers, but hers didn't look nearly as terrible as these ones. They were all gray, fear etched on their faces. Delphine was sure she was not going to get these images out of her face. "It's terrible what happened to them." Delphine said in agreement.

There wasn't much to do on the boat, so after a while of looking around in the little room they had made it into the two girls opened the doors allowing all the water to come pouring in. Delphine immediately grew her tail and began to swim in the direction of the little boat they had come in. Delphine helped Emma back onto the boat and once she was in Emma helped pull Delphine up.

While Emma worked on rowing the boat back to shore, Delphine worked on drying herself off. "You know, I think that this place will be a perfect place for us to come when the boys become too much." Delphine said watching as her legs appeared.

"I agree, I've been dropping so many hints with Abe but he still hasn't gotten the clue. He keeps asking Victor how he thinks it's going with you but Victor says he doesn't get Horace's dream." Emma said.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," Emma said with a sigh handing the paddles to Delphine so she could row the rest of the way. "Victor says he doesn't see you in a romantic way, maybe just like a friend but he doesn't get what Horace's dream was, maybe it means he'll feel a different way about you when you guys start getting to know each other better."

Delphine nodded her head, "Is it a good thing or a bad thing? This whole situation is so confusing I feel just like Victor. I would just like to forget about it all." Delphine said stopping the boat when they finally made it to land. The two girls got off the boat anchored it and began to make their way back to the house. By the time they got there it was almost dark and dinner was being place on the table.